The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   toe first (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/toe-first-13059/)

sempre_cantando 08-10-2008 05:58 AM

toe first

what does it mean if you see a horse walking by putting its toe on the ground first, instead the heel or putting the hoof straight flat on the ground. I saw a hourse doing this today and was wondering.

JDsmum 08-10-2008 11:24 AM

Interesting question, this can be open to debate over many different things, some people debate about it being shod v unshod. Shod horses and barefoot horses are both able to land barefoot.

Most horses however, (shod and barefoot) land heel first.
But mostly it will happen if a horse doesn't have a really well developed back of the hoof, and it hits a hard spot. It shouldnt occur if the horse has a really well developed rear of the hoof. (such as good heel bulbs, good solid frog, thick digital cushion.)

I have 2 horses at the moment and one is sore in the feet and has been landing toe first, boiled it down to the fact that my new farrier had been leaving my boy in particular too long in the toe.
Found a new farrier and Im hoping that this problem will be fixed.

SonnyWimps 08-10-2008 07:36 PM

it depends....
I've heard that a horse will hand toe-first because someone in or around the heel area hurts. There was a horse that had navicular extremely bad and he'd walk toe-to-heel all the time and it was due to navicular.

Having the toe of the hoof too long will also cause that problem at times

sempre_cantando 08-10-2008 08:05 PM

that's interesting because this horse has had his hooves trimmed recently and from memory, the didn't look long in the toe. I'll have to have a closer look.

JDsmum 08-11-2008 02:11 AM

Sorry, forgot to add that he also cut my boy too short in the back so when he took a step he was in pain :? Sorry if i have confused anybody.

hotreddun 08-11-2008 01:44 PM

navicular, founder, ringbone, other arthritis, sore sole, sore heel...could be a lot of things...not to mention laziness or being sleepy...my horse looks like he is about to kill over dead lame sometimes when he just wakes up from a nap :shock: