The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Endurance Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/)
-   -   Watching everyone else ride by... (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/watching-everyone-else-ride-130614/)

clippityclop 07-12-2012 05:24 PM

Watching everyone else ride by...

Anyone else sidelined from endurance for the time being?

Horse injury? You have an injury? Job loss - horse loss? Etc?

My excuse is KIDS. Everyone with small kiddos knows how the hobbies get put on the shelf for a few years while you tend to family, especially if you are the mommy. I got a new Arab three years ago (when I was pregnant with my second kiddo) that I haven't even had time to condition for a slow LD. I am SO ready to get out there and get after it.

For now, I'm on the sidelines rooting for all of my buddies - watching some of them almost make it to the short list at the last WEG...cheering them on - anticipating my monthly issue of EN just to keep up with stats and to read about others' ride adventures- it's the next best thing if I can't get out there and ride myself! Maybe I'll be able to start up some conditioning miles this fall (but then it won't surprise me if I'm repeating myself next spring) LOL!

If anyone knows how to condition a horse without about only 1 hour a week to ride, let me know...YEAH RIGHT!! :wink:

phantomhorse13 07-12-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clippityclop (Post 1594304)

If anyone knows how to condition a horse without about only 1 hour a week to ride, let me know...YEAH RIGHT!! :wink:

Teach your horse to drive, so then you can bring the kids along in the cart when you are conditioning?! :lol:

I am blessed to be able to manage riding around my work schedule (one of the reasons working 4 10-hour shifts is nice). The fact my boyfriend is also an endurance rider helps a lot too, as he also wants to spend weekends either conditioning or going to rides!

waresbear 07-12-2012 09:46 PM

Having kids is a 24-7 job, no holidays either.

jmescal 07-12-2012 10:28 PM

I don't know where you are located but if you are looking for someone to keep your horse in shape please let me know. I am an experienced rider and trained my young mare arab in endurance but because of these tough time had to give her over to a friend. I'm looking to fill a void and just get to ride and maybe help someone in the process.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clippityclop (Post 1594304)
Anyone else sidelined from endurance for the time being?

Horse injury? You have an injury? Job loss - horse loss? Etc?

My excuse is KIDS. Everyone with small kiddos knows how the hobbies get put on the shelf for a few years while you tend to family, especially if you are the mommy. I got a new Arab three years ago (when I was pregnant with my second kiddo) that I haven't even had time to condition for a slow LD. I am SO ready to get out there and get after it.

For now, I'm on the sidelines rooting for all of my buddies - watching some of them almost make it to the short list at the last WEG...cheering them on - anticipating my monthly issue of EN just to keep up with stats and to read about others' ride adventures- it's the next best thing if I can't get out there and ride myself! Maybe I'll be able to start up some conditioning miles this fall (but then it won't surprise me if I'm repeating myself next spring) LOL!

Brighteyes 07-12-2012 11:23 PM

Yeah. Every summer, I want to do some endurance. For the last two summers, my mare has hurt herslf and put herself on watch till fall. :/ Last August, she bowed a tendon on the first weekend of summer vacation at a CTR in Virgina. She was out for six weeks, missed all our summer rides, and barely scrapped by that fall. This year, azoturia. Out for two weeks, then months of slower work to bring her back. Missing a trip to Leatherwood and an endurance ride in SC for that. Just when things were going well...

clippityclop 07-14-2012 10:36 AM

Now that is no fun! Last spring, I told myself that I would ride as much as I could (which pretty much meant barely any riding at all) and MAYBE put enough condition on my Arab to do one measly 25 later on that December. Wouldn't you know that before the ink was dry on the entry form, he developed a sore shoulder from just general concussion and trotting on harder ground (last summer was a beast here in TX) and then not even a day later, I pulled a muscle in my back. We were both down and out for about two months. By then, what's the use?

But I keep trying - LOL - although as desperate as I'm getting, I still may only have time to condition barely enough just to enter the little 12-14 miler intro rides...haha!:D

clippityclop 07-14-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1594714)
Having kids is a 24-7 job, no holidays either.

So true and no sick days either! My youngest (2.5 yrs) went on a trail ride with me with some friends (slow walk thru the forest) and she had the BEST time ever. I was so sure she would either complain about her new helmet (which she didn't want to take off all day, even at bedtime) or just get tired of sitting with me in the saddle. She sang and talked and collected pine cones and was quite the entertainer for the entire group of ladies we were riding with for two whole hours. Can you believe it?

Maybe she will want to grow up and ride endurance with mommy! One can only hope! My oldest (12 yrs) has NO interest in horses.....so it would be such a treat if this younger one gets the horse bug........

Joe4d 07-14-2012 01:18 PM

dont the kids have a father ? Yeh I know you are a mom but you owe it to yourself to live a life as well, Block out a few hours a couple days a week and go ride. make it your routine. Stand up for yourself. If your schedule is so full you cant take 3 or 4 hours twice a week for yorself. You need to really step back and take a look at what is actually filling your time and what can be eliminated.

Celeste 07-14-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1597502)
you owe it to yourself to live a life as well, Block out a few hours a couple days a week and go ride. make it your routine. Stand up for yourself. If your schedule is so full you cant take 3 or 4 hours twice a week for yorself. You need to really step back and take a look at what is actually filling your time and what can be eliminated.

Joe, if I weren't married, I think I would propose to you.

Celeste 07-14-2012 04:37 PM

Well, married and most likely old enough to be your mother.
Seriously, more men need that attitude.