The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Gun Nation? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/gun-nation-130684/)

Mckellar 07-13-2012 08:21 AM

Gun Nation?

Hello everyone, well I live in Canada and I donít know too many people who live in the US, most people who do are Canadians and go down for show seasons. Something that I have asked myself 1000 times and my family has asked. Why do Americans have so many guns? Iím asking this in a total ďI have no idea so Iíll just ask because if I donít I will never knowĒ kind of way.

Now, we have guns for hunting and yes like all major cityís we have gun violence and Iíve gone to a shooting range and it was a lot of fun but Iím asking because why is it that you can legally have an ak-47? Like.. thatís not a hunting gunÖ.

I probably sound so ignorant, and I'm not trying to steriotype this is a general questions to the general population....but it is just is so confusing

MHFoundation Quarters 07-13-2012 08:58 AM

I can only speak for myself but I am much like you are yourself. We have guns for hunting. We have several shotguns and rifles but all are used for hunting. Most are my hubby's, I have 3 myself - a 20 gauge semi-auto shotgun for hunting pheasant & quail, a 12 gauge for deer hunting and a .22 for blapping unwanted pests around the farm (groundhogs and I aren't on good terms).

As far as the AK goes, not positive but I believe it is only legal to own something like that if it's been converted to semi automatic vs full on machine gun. I don't know a single person that owns something like that other than the owner of the local applied ballistics shop and you can rent it to fire on the range with supervision (at a ridiculous rate).

Speed Racer 07-13-2012 09:07 AM

I have two guns, and neither are automatic weapons. One is my .3030 rifle for varmint shooting, and the other is my .38 handgun with a 4" barrel that I keep for personal protection.

Other than dispatching a few groundhogs and possums, the rifle is only fired for target practice. The handgun to date has only been used for target practice, and I fervently hope I never have to use it for anything else.

The majority of gun owners in the US aren't armed to the teeth. Some folks have more than their fair share, but I'd say even those people have them for hunting more than any other reason.

The people who have automatic weapons tend to be criminals, as very few people have one 'just because'. They're pretty useless for anything except completely destroying a target. You'll never catch an avid hunter or a regular gun owning citizen with one of those.

We're no more bloodthirsty a nation than any other. We merely take the right to bear arms very seriously.

Houston 07-13-2012 09:12 AM

I'm not a huge gun fanatic, but I'll share my own personal thoughts on the subject.

While AK-47s are a little overboard for my tastes, some people just like weapons. I know people who own several guns for the simple interest of the mechanics behind the gun or it's appeal.

I've shot several weapons myself and can say it's a whole lot of fun. I don't own any personal guns myself, but would consider it. Especially for my next point...

Protection. I'm fortunate to have lived in a safe area, but even the safest neighborhoods can have break ins. One of my biggest fears is to be threatened in my own house or to have what I have worked hard for stolen. For me, this is the most compelling reason to have a weapon.

gunslinger 07-13-2012 09:24 AM

I suggest you read the oral argument presented to the supreme court in Heller vs DC, and then read the Opinion the court issued.

Then read the same on McDonald vs Chicago.

The founding fathers found this to be an inalienable right, and the court agreed and ruled it an individual right.

The countries love of guns goes back to our founding fathers.

My handle, Gunslinger, goes back to a job I had in a large gun store.

I've had many Brits and other nationalities come and fondle guns they can't own, many, took pictures.

It's at that moment I realized, how uniquely american the gun store is.

Let Freedom ring.

Speed Racer 07-13-2012 09:29 AM

'An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.'

Yep, that's about right. :wink:

SouthernTrails 07-13-2012 09:53 AM

An AK-47 that is legal to own in America is a semi-automatic weapon, just as an AR-15 is a semi-automatic version of the M-16

Also a AK-47 is also a version of the SKS rifle, the AK-47 has a pistol grip where the SKS does not and the AK-47 is capable of holding more rounds.

Actually many people uses the SKS and AK-47 as a Deer rifle, it is comparable to a 30-30 rifle in range and knock down power.

The AR-15 is an awesome varmit rifle :D

While both the AK-47 and AR-15 Civilian Versions can accommodate a 20 round magazine, most States only allow a 3 or 5 round magazine for Hunting.
Now if you are out practicing or plinking, it is nice to have a 20 round magazine :-)

A famous quote goes something like this: When Guns are Outlawed only Outlaws will have Guns.

texasgal 07-13-2012 09:58 AM

... and there is not many things more fun that taking an old computer that has given you so much grief out in the middle of nowhere and shooting it up with an AR ...

... so I've heard....

*wink*

Speed Racer 07-13-2012 10:01 AM

SouthernTrails, you're talking about semi-automatics, correct? I don't believe fully automatics are legal. Those are the ones I was talking about when I said the majority owned are by criminals. There's no reason to own a fully automatic weapon other than to completely obliterate someone or something.

kait18 07-13-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Houston (Post 1595490)
I've shot several weapons myself and can say it's a whole lot of fun. I don't own any personal guns myself, but would consider it. Especially for my next point...

Protection. I'm fortunate to have lived in a safe area, but even the safest neighborhoods can have break ins. One of my biggest fears is to be threatened in my own house or to have what I have worked hard for stolen. For me, this is the most compelling reason to have a weapon.

haha this made me laugh a little for one, my dad said the same thing so he went out and bought a few guns (After practicing with different guns he finally bought 3 he felt comfortable with) and bought a gunlocker since all guns and ammo are techincally supposed to be stored in two different locked containers...well you need to remember to not forget your locker combo :P or else its useless to get guns for home protection lol..needless to say my dad cant access his guns..so much for home protection were back to having dogs :P

and two which isnt so funny, but the most accidents with guns are those that buy guns for home protection. which i find very ironic since most buy the guns for protection but then somehow the gun is used on a family member or something.

--------
on a side note i love the right to bear arms. i have 3 shotguns 1 rifle and 2 handguns and have a few archery weapons aswell. most of my stuff is used for hunting and the range for practice. and are all stored in lock boxes and hidden away so strangers and younger family members cant see them and get interested and try breaking the locks. :-x