The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   TB won't move laterally or pivot..how do I stop her from running backwards? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/tb-wont-move-laterally-pivot-how-130691/)

PaintMare 07-13-2012 10:03 AM

TB won't move laterally or pivot..how do I stop her from running backwards?

I've been trying to teach my horse to pivot for showmanship. I've been working on just getting her to move her shoulders over, away from pressure. Just a step at a time. But every time I push on her shoulders she starts walking backwards really fast. She used to be a racehorse and it seems like she only goes backwards and forwards. How do I teach her to move laterally and move away from pressure instead of just backing up?

TexasBlaze 07-13-2012 11:09 AM

Put her butt to a fence to where she cant and dont let up cueing until she makes a step in the correct direction

spurstop 07-13-2012 08:51 PM

She sounds really locked up.

What I would do is find a dressage whip or something. Put her hindquarter to a fence, and holding her steady with one hand, use the dressage whip combined with pressure on the halter to encourage her to sidepass away from you. It will probably be ugly for a while, and she might get upset. The key is to stop when she's moving off the pressure correctly, and to not give up until you get the desired result.

Once she's comfortable with the sidepassing, take her back away from the fence and start asking her to plant her hind foot and start her pivot.

It probably won't happen in a day. Once you've made it to a positive stopping place (crossing over, or moving away from pressure well, etc.) pet her and stop for the day.

jer216 11-14-2012 11:01 AM

I would suggest first getting her in forward motion. Walk with her and then turn her to the right (away from you) while walking. Do this in squares (so four 90 degree turns) gradually making them smaller and smaller until she is forced to pivot. If you are always in forward motion, instead of starting from a standstill, it might prevent her from backing up. If she does stop dead and back up, just walk her off again and keep trying. Eventually once you get her to pivot this way the goal would be that she would stop backing up from a standstill. Takes lots of time though