The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   help horse acting sick (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/help-horse-acting-sick-130735/)

alichawhittaker 07-13-2012 02:52 PM

help horse acting sick

Hello, we have a 5 yr old qh that was fine earlier as far as we know, but we came home and she was laying down in the front away from other horses. so We went out side and she was laying in the back so i was just keeping my eye on her. I was watering and she came up to me and stuck her head into the flow of the hose which is not unusual for her so i sprayed her hooves off and noticed she was sweating a little more than normal. I gave her a scratch on back and she went and laid back down?? I know horse lay down BUT she is just acting strange I dont know what she could have gotten into too The other horses are fine as well.

Speed Racer 07-13-2012 02:54 PM

How hot is it? If it's really hot, she'll be sweaty. My TB sweats more than my Arabians. That's completely normal for him.

If she's just lying there quietly, leave her be. She may be a bit colicky, but unless she's thrashing around or trying to roll, letting her lie quietly is fine.

texasgal 07-13-2012 02:54 PM

alicha .. call you vet. Do you have a thermometer? It would help if you could give your vet her vitals when you call.

Don't wait for anyone to answer here .. she could be colicking, feverish, foundering, all of which could be life threatening.

Keep us posted .. thinking about you!

alichawhittaker 07-13-2012 02:59 PM

I have put a call into vet but he is on emergency call... SO Iam waiting she is quiet not moving just laying she usually sweats a lot more than the other horses anyways I just thought it was strange she was laying alone and then when i walked up to her she just laid there she usually gets up. Iam watching her out the window as I type so just waiting.

stevenson 07-13-2012 02:59 PM

how hot is it in your area? Does she have gut noise? Is she rolling ? What is her gum color? Nostrils flared ? capillary refill time, by pressing on her gums and counting how long it takes be pink again, . Any weeds in the hay or pasture? free choice salt? Is she drinking? eating ? Pooping? peeing ? How long has she been laying down ? Abnormal behaviour for her ? Is she sweating all over or just in her chest and flank areas ? If you grain her, check for moldy grain, any oppossum or raccoons in the area? Has she been vaccinated ?
There are a lot of things to consider. If you feel she is Off, and are concerned, you can watch and wait, or call out the Vet .

alichawhittaker 07-13-2012 03:10 PM

OK I just came back in her gums are pink, refill was 2 seconds i hear normal gut noise she is pooping and peeing the temp here is 98. the sweat was around her stomach and neck area she is on pature there are weeds in there mainly ragweed and some sort of goat head stickers? she is not rolling when I went back out she was up but just standing away from everything. maybe she is having a off day and iam paranoid but rather be safe then sorry.

smrobs 07-13-2012 03:11 PM

Since you've got a call into the vet, I would just keep a close eye on her. I went through this exact thing yesterday with my 2 year old draft cross (who happens to be black). It was hot outside and he was laying a lot more than is typical for him. Because I was starting to worry, I got him up and could tell right away he was slightly colicky. Checked his temp and it was elevated but he had good CRT and gut sounds. His breathing was a bit fast so I led him over to where the hose was in the tank and spent about 10 minutes really rinsing him off with the cold water.

By the time I got done, he had pooped once and was acting like he felt a lot better; his temp was down, his breathing was slower, and he ended up feeling good enough to take off at a run after his buddy.

I second what Speed said, since you've already contacted the vet, just keep a close eye on her to make sure she doesn't start rolling violently or thrashing. Plus, if it's above 90* where you are, it couldn't possibly hurt to rinse her off a bit.