The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   HUS for stock horses only? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/hus-stock-horses-only-130747/)

TexanFreedom 07-13-2012 03:54 PM

HUS for stock horses only?

Is Hunter Under Saddle primarily for stock horses? Is it like another name for hunter or english pleasure but for Appys, QH's, and Paints? I had never heard of it before, and then I saw some banners/flyers on the internet advertising HUS horses, and they all appear to be big butt-ed stockhorses trotting 'long and low'. I have also noticed there is quite some controversy on their headset and why western pleasure, english pleasure, and HUS stock horses all appear to be butt high. If you don't understand, I can explain it, but that's another post...

Anyway, even if you google it, almost every one is a horse of stock horse build, trotting long and low in a classic Quarter horse jog, nicely cleaned up, in english attire and tack, and a small but fitting (white) saddle pad. This makes me wonder, if this is another name for the same disclipline, but reserved for the stock horse breeds.

I'm not an english person, so I don't know.

DancingArabian 07-13-2012 04:13 PM

Found this page: English Flat Classes

Oh and to answer.... Other breeds show in HUS too.
Posted via Mobile Device

clippityclop 07-15-2012 04:35 PM

Are most of the pictures you googled from Texas? LOL! There are a few barns around my area (central TX) that show in all of the same classes and are different breeds, but they all seem to band together and host their own shows separate from the stock types due to the fact that you can't fairly compete.

One of our 4H parents (and our 4H is predominantly stock horses) said that the judges told her that they don't know how to place any other breed that walks into the ring that isn't a qh type especially horses like arabs or warmbloods or anything else that might have more step to their movement than toes dragging the sand. Their movement is just different.

In halter, the judges here won't even look at you because they actually compare the horses to each other, and again if you don't have the stock horse build, you can't/won't be placed.

Enough people protested that it actually came to a point now where for every show that is advertised, it is now part of the 'norm' to advertise that all classes will be judged according to AQHA rules/guidelines and all conformation classes, specifically halter, will be judged according to stock horse types. Again, I'm just speaking from my neighborhood.

All they did was succeed in segregating everyone and no one goes to any of the western horse shows around here unless they are entering a stock horse.

A friend of mine shows quarter horses and english with her arab and she goes crazy trying to do two shows at once on the same weekend - her qh's with the other stock types, and then trailers her arab to a completely different barn to compete in all of the same classes with other Arabs and some other breeds (the other shows are VERY friendly towards all breeds participating).

I think it's just because TX is quarter horse central on the whole planet. And when you have enough of one type competing on a regular basis, there's enough of you to start making your own rules. Lord knows we have plenty of stock horses here to go around.:D

TexanFreedom 07-16-2012 10:31 AM

Interesting. Any other opinions?

clippityclop 07-16-2012 05:08 PM

I used to show WP/horsemanship/halter and shomanship myself and had a blast. I don't have stock types right now but my neighbor who shows religiously at least 2-3 times a month loans me her daughter's horse and we go together and it brings back the old memories - i miss my QH's!

I PM'd you - I think your gelding (for sale) would be great at HUS with that height and eye catching coat color! He'd fit in great here.

banhboardman 07-17-2012 03:43 AM

her arab to a completely different barn to compete in all of the same classes with other Arabs and some other breeds (the other shows are VERY friendly towards all breeds participating

http://www.avufo.info/g.gif

DraftXDressage 07-17-2012 07:28 AM

Even though HUS is a class at stock horse breed shows, the stereotypical "big-butted," "downhill" (which I don't really think should be associated with quality stock horses anyhow) stock type is not what is competitive, so I'm not sure what photos you were finding.

busysmurf 07-17-2012 07:58 AM

It was explained to me this way. "english" was more for "traditional" english type horses (TB's, Arabs, WB's, even gaited breeds). For awhile, in judging we we're taught to consider jumping suitability (confirmation, etc) when judging english. On the flip side, HUS was geared more towards any "non-english" type. These days they seem interchangeable. Both "types" are expected to have the proper traditional english gait (like they are actually trying to get somewhere). Headset is dependant on the breed. I'm in WI, so we have a nice mix of breeds at shows. Judges who only place one breed, & don't know others don't last long around here.

As for the down-hill / big butt, since pleasure & equitation isn't judged on confirmation, as long as they can pull of the gaits, they could place. In halter, a big muscled stock type won't place in a huntseat/english halter class.
Posted via Mobile Device

TexanFreedom 07-17-2012 11:11 AM

Do a google image search and type in 'hunter under saddle' or 'hunter under saddle horse' and this is what the majority of horses look like. These are what photos I was finding.

This was my point in the thread, I was curious if HUS was a different name for (the same as say, english pleasure or equitation) but reserved for stock horses.

Now if you search 'english pleasure' or 'hunt seat equitation' you get more variety, some arabs, ponies, TB's some WB's and a few stock type horses, because this is all you can seem to find (stock type horses)

I know that there are hunter type stockhorses bred for hunters, sometimes dressage ect.

DraftXDressage 07-17-2012 12:25 PM

I did just as you suggested, and I see about 90% of horses who are probably at least 7/8 TB, just as I would have expected.