The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoughts on this bit?

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  BubblesBlue 
#1 ·
What is everyone think of this bit? [Sorry for the blurry pictures >.<!]

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT using this bit so please don't chew me out. I am simply looking for opinions on it. Thank you. ^^

See less See more
#3 ·
It's a draw bit, used as a training bit used to add poll pressure to a horse in order to give their head. However it's only used in western communities. I think the English world isn't too fond of it.

At least that's my knowledge of it, and yes the bit is pretty mild. I want to know more about it though so here I am!

#4 ·
In general I really don't like gag bits, no matter who uses them. I consider myself fairly quiet with my hands, and I won't use them. Way to many things could happen and you could accidently pull way more than is needed.

#5 ·
Those are my favourite mouth pieces. It's a gag bit though, the rope headstall gives it more "umph" than a flat, leather headstall would. The basics of it are pressure to the poll, which is emphasised with the rope vs a normal leather/nylon headstall.
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 · (Edited)
The mouthpiece itself is quite mild, but the draw-gag action gives it the potential to be quite harsh in the wrong hands. I personally would not ride in it, and I consider myself to have pretty decent hands. Because of the design of the headstall portion of this setup, there's no real limit on how tight the bit can be drawn up, nothing to prevent someone from, even accidentally, getting carried away and causing confusion at best, and outright physical damage at worst.

Definitely more of a western bit -- I see a lot of the young games riders in my area riding in either these, WonderBits, or combo bits, largely because "the tom thumb doesn't work anymore" (insert eye roll). The English analog gag bit only slides up the cheeks before the gag action is stopped. These bits have a proper time, place, and use, but it isn't when, where, or why most people use them IME.

#9 ·
The mouthpiece itself is quite mild, but the draw-gag action gives it the potential to be quite harsh in the wrong hands. I personally would not ride in it, and I consider myself to have pretty decent hands. Because of the design of the headstall portion of this setup, there's no real limit on how tight the bit can be drawn up, nothing to prevent someone from, even accidentally, getting carried away and causing confusion at best, and outright physical damage at worst.

Definitely more of a western bit -- I see a lot of the young games riders in my area riding in either these, WonderBits, or combo bits, largely because "the tom thum doesn't work anymore" (insert eye roll). The English analog gag bit only slides up the cheeks before the gag action is stopped. These bits have a proper time, place, and use, but it isn't when, where, or why most people use them IME.

My horse is extremely soft mouthed so she's really picky about her bits. >> I would love to run her in a bit with this mouth piece but I have yet to find one with the right shanks.
So instead, she ,for whatever reason, loves the Sherry Cervi twisted dogbone short shank. Every other bit she doesn't appreciate.

#11 ·
I have a circle r with shorter shanks and this mouthpiece, works amazingly for the mare I'm riding who is use to a hack with no bit in her mouth. The roller gives her something to play with when she gets bored instead of actually chomping the bit like she's known to do.
Posted via Mobile Device

#12 ·
I completely echo what Scout has said. The mouthpiece is actually quite mild, but I would never use it simply because there is no stopper to limit the gag action.

If I ever did feel like using it, I would either tie some knots in the cheeks to limit how far the bit could slide or I would completely re-make it into something similar to this...though I would want to leave the rope draw-strings quite a bit shorter because IMHO, a horse simply shouldn't need that much gag action.

#14 ·
...guys, it's not rocket science. :D Look at the bit and figure out the mechanics.
It's a gag/draw bit. The mouthpiece is mild. However, it works on a pulley system. The reins are pulled, which pulls the bit up in the mouth. Generally the rider can only pull as hard as they're able to and pressure is only applied to the mouth. With a gag, the reins actually go through the bit and the rope braces against the poll and then has a pulley effect, where the rider can put much more pressure on the mouth than they normally ever could. The thing is basically set up the squish the mouth and the ears together. There aren't any "stoppers" on this bit either so theoretically the bit could be pulled up as high as the rider wanted.
It really is rather barbaric. You can't control the horse with your aids so you slap on a tight noseband and then haul away on this bit and hopefully the horse stops before A) the rope snaps and your horse leaves or B) you tear through the sides of the mouth and/or fracture the poll. :)

#15 ·
Um, where did the OP say that she didn't understand the mechanics of how the bit worked? She didn't. She was simply asking opinions on this particular bit. And fracture the poll? Seriously? :? With a simple gag bit? Right :lol:.

Bubbles, what kind of shanks are you looking for with that type of mouthpiece. I've seen some Jr cowhorse bits and some short shanked bits with mouths like that.

#16 ·
I am already planning on getting a Jr Cowhorse bit. I found one online that I plan on ordering. I am first going to a barrel race this weekend though to look at vendors who may have the bit~
My horse really likes the Sherry Cervi bit but I have a feeling she will like this mouth piece better for it has no twist and also a roller for she likes to chomp on the bit.

And I do happen to know how a gag bit works... I may be only 16 but I'm not completely clueless when it comes to bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.