The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   How many days a week? (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/how-many-days-week-130764/)

Cinder 07-13-2012 08:18 PM

How many days a week?

I was wondering how many days a week I should do cardio and how many days a week I should do strength training/yoga and similar. I know you're supposed to have a rest day but other than that, what should I be shooting for?

I will admit that I generally prefer cardio over strength building exercises. Not because I think it's better but just because I like it better. I also prefer jogging/running over most other cardio exercises.

The reason I ask is because I've been having trouble finding a happy medium. I've plateaued (weight loss) so I figured I should be getting more exercise, but I've been running on sidewalks and I've been getting pain in my legs and sometimes my ankles. Nothing intolerable but just enough to be annoying.

What do you guys think? Any help would be appreciated.

Skyseternalangel 07-13-2012 09:46 PM

I always do cardio 3 times a week and then I do yoga/pilates stretching and muscle toning every other day.

Roperchick 07-13-2012 10:21 PM

well army wise we do pt at least 5 times a week. we switch every day between Cardio/muscle failure (so your muscle toning.yoda) not really a set thing, one run day we do distance, one we do sprints, and if we have a third well do things like swimming or Insanity.
then the muscle failure days we switch and do upper body (arms/shoulders back) one day an then lower body (abs and legs) the next.

if running on sidewalks/concrete hurts, try an eliptical (if you have one or access to one) or a bike.

i usually do 6 days of PT (just to keep it even)

BarrelWannabe 07-13-2012 10:40 PM

Op, HOW are you running? Are you landing midfoot and bringing your leg up in the direction of your hamstrings? What kind of arch do you have to your foot?
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 07-13-2012 11:00 PM

o_O Running is now a science? Tell us more..!

Cinder 07-13-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Op, HOW are you running? Are you landing midfoot and bringing your leg up in the direction of your hamstrings? What kind of arch do you have to your foot?
I try to make an effort to land midfoot as I heard landing on your heels is bad.

I don't think I bring my leg up in the direction of my hamstrings, should I start doing that?

I've researched a bit about arches and can't decide if I have high or normal arches. Here's a picture:

(I apologize in advance for my ugly foot :lol: This is my left foot if that makes a difference, and the angle of the photo was weird so I rotated the photo 90 degrees):

http://i50.tinypic.com/6jd854.jpg

Skyseternalangel 07-13-2012 11:17 PM

Wait.. pain in legs and ankles? (Sorry didn't see that before)

What part of your legs? You may need inserts. Do you slam your foot down when you run or are you light on your feet?

BarrelWannabe 07-13-2012 11:21 PM

Its not necessarily a science, but a form. If you have a vertical posture, land midfoot directly under your body and bring your legs toward your hamstrings, you use less energy. If you land with your heel and use the ball of your foot, not only is it hard on your ankle, but you use more energy by allowing yourself to lean forward and having to use your legs to drive yourself forward rather than maintaining horizontal momentum. Also if you swing your legs out rather than "pulling" them upward, that increases the energy needed to maintain your pace.

The arch in your foot applies to how your ankle and heel fall when running. If you have flat feet, or little to no arch, your feet will pronate inward and can cause discomfort or injury to the feet and ankles and impair your running stride.
If you have high arches, your feet and ankles pronate outward and can cause injury and affect your stride.

I asked that, because depending on the OP's arch in her foot, she may not have the correct support for her feet. Also try some hips strengthening exercises and stretches. A lot of problems that runners encounter stem from hips that aren't as strong as the legs.

Edit: It looks like you might have a slightly high arch but you can either Google pictures of a high arched foot, or find a reputable sports goods store/athletic shoe store and a salesman should be able to assess your foot and help you find a shoe that is both correctly fitted and comfortable.

As for the leg pain, are you stretching and allowing your legs to warm up? I would do a really good 5 minute stretch for each leg and a warm up of increasing speed for another ten.
Remember, warm up, peak performance, cool down. The warm up and cool down are very important parts of a workout. Without either, sustaining an injury is at a far great percentage than with w/u, c/d.

Cinder 07-13-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Wait.. pain in legs and ankles? (Sorry didn't see that before)

What part of your legs? You may need inserts. Do you slam your foot down when you run or are you light on your feet?
It radiates from my knees all the way down to my ankles. Most of the time it's just an ache kind of thing, but I ran at about 4 pm (doing much less than usual) and then VERY lightly with the dog again at 8pm. My legs were hurting when I was coming home from my twenty minute walk/run at 4 pm and were feeling better by 8, but they still hurt now.

There's been a few times where it really hurt but I just waited and it went away.

I've never had this problem before, either.

I'm not really sure about that...I just kind of run how I run? I'm used to it. But I wouldn't say that I'm light on my feet, I guess I might slam them down possibly.

Skyseternalangel 07-13-2012 11:27 PM

Alright that makes sense.

I think it's probably straining your leg muscles. Do you do any sort of warmup before you go running?