The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   Stubben Johs Krefeld (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/stubben-johs-krefeld-130769/)

Cowgirls Boots 07-13-2012 09:23 PM

Stubben Johs Krefeld

125 Attachment(s)
Well since my whole essay just got deleted, I'll keep it simple.

Opinions on this brand? Am looking at an older model and am waiting to hear back from the consignment shop if they consigner will accept my offer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 07-14-2012 10:14 AM

That's not a model of Stubben, that's the saddlery where it was made. That saddle is one of the original, German made Stubbens if it has the Johs Kreffeld stamp on it.

Those original, German made Stubbens last just about forever.

Cowgirls Boots 07-14-2012 11:18 AM

125 Attachment(s)
That's great to hear! They're asking $200 on consignment including irons and leathers. It needs a very good clean and oil but it's in better condition then some stubbens ive seen that are going for $300...I think its been on consignment awhile and I offers $150 so am waiting to hear back.
Posted via Mobile Device

mammakatja 07-14-2012 11:51 AM

That's a great price even if it does need a little TLC. I'd jump on it. I was given an older Stubben Siegfried that was made in Germany. The newer ones are made in Switzerland. I LOVED this saddle. The people who gave it to me had it in their garden shed and had no idea what they had. Some Leather New and oil perked it right up. Sadly I lost it in a barn fire last fall. I bought another used one made in Switzerland. They are still excellent saddles but I was so spoiled to my old made in Germany one. It was soft and supple and "made for me". And they do last forever. Good luck with your find. :)

Speed Racer 07-14-2012 11:53 AM

I bought an older, German made Stubben. It was advertised as an 18" seat, but turned out to be a 19", which was way too big for me. It was one of the original Siegfrieds.

Once I cleaned and oiled it up, I sold it on. It was too nice a saddle to not be used.

I'm surprised a German made Stubben has a $200 price tag, as they tend to be in demand by people who know what they're worth.

I paid $450 for my current Stubben that was made in Switzerland, and think I got quite the bargain. If you can get a German made Stubben for less than that, good for you!

Cowgirls Boots 07-14-2012 02:12 PM

125 Attachment(s)
Well the consignment shop is in the middle of horse country but the 'consignment' part of the place is upstairs, where as down stairs is a feed store. The upstairs is a hay loft so alot of the things on consignment are pretty dusty and kinda forgotten about. I found the stubben in the corner and am awaiting to hear if the lady will accept my offer. Won't hear back until Monday or Tuesday though.
Posted via Mobile Device

mammakatja 07-14-2012 02:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1597386)
I bought an older, German made Stubben. It was advertised as an 18" seat, but turned out to be a 19", which was way too big for me. It was one of the original Siegfrieds.

Once I cleaned and oiled it up, I sold it on. It was too nice a saddle to not be used.

I'm surprised a German made Stubben has a $200 price tag, as they tend to be in demand by people who know what they're worth.

I paid $450 for my current Stubben that was made in Switzerland, and think I got quite the bargain. If you can get a German made Stubben for less than that, good for you!

That's exactly what I paid for my Swiss made one for Speedracer. I won it on ebay and it really was a decent deal especially for the shape it was in. It's a 17 1/2 in. which is slightly too big but still doable. I ride a 16 1/2 dressage saddle that seems just about perfect but its a deeper seat. My German made Stubben was one of those that just kind of happens to you which it really did. I miss it. If I could find a German made one in the shape mine was in for a crazy price, I'd probably sell my Swiss made. Not that mine new one is bad. Its just hard to replace something you liked a lot.

Anyway, Cowgirls Boots, is there a way you can post a phone pic of it? I'd love to see it. I'm just a sucker for this saddle. Maybe it's my German background. :wink: I've found if you live in an area, like I live in stickville Texas, where English riding isn't as popular, folks don't always know what they have, especially if they're trying to sell a Stubben at a feedstore. Just for kicks, I'll show off my new Stubben and my old one. Wish I had a better pic of my old one. :-(

Attachment 106386
You can tell in this pic that its just slightly too big.
Attachment 106389

Here's my old one. The date is wrong . This was taken summer of 2011.
Attachment 106387
Here's another older pic. Man I wish I would have gotten a close up of it. Who thinks they're going to lose all their tack in a fire?! Stupid me.
Attachment 106388

Cowgirls Boots 07-14-2012 03:20 PM

125 Attachment(s)
I only have a fuzzy picture that is on there website but here it is.

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r...m/084e3049.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 07-14-2012 03:26 PM

Looks like a Parzival. Definitely could use some TLC, but it should come back nicely. Those old Stubbens are hard to kill!

My Siegfried is older, too. It has the older style sueded knee roll, and is at least 25-30 years old. Still looks almost brand new.

Cowgirls Boots 07-14-2012 03:29 PM

125 Attachment(s)
I mean one of the stirrup leather keepers is broken and the saddle was heavy for an English (to me anyway) could have just been the irons, though.

The keeper isn't a big deals because if I end up getting it I would like to bring it to a saddle restorer and maybe fix the knee rolls and check it over.

I'm a western rider through and through but I started out English. My dream saddle is a brand new stubben but I really only play around when I ride English or to switch things up in the ring.
Posted via Mobile Device