The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Mare showing estrus to a GELDING? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/mare-showing-estrus-gelding-130774/)

Ladybug2001 07-13-2012 11:04 PM

Mare showing estrus to a GELDING?

528 Attachment(s)
Alright, so no matter what my 18 year old mare will show estrus when a gelding comes around and pushes her back end against them to try and get them to mount. Is it normal for a mare to do this? Even to a gelding that wasn't proud cut?

Could it be because she once had a proud cut gelding mount her?

paintedpastures 07-13-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladybug2001 (Post 1596757)
Alright, so no matter what my 18 year old mare will show estrus when a gelding comes around and pushes her back end against them to try and get them to mount. Is it normal for a mare to do this? Even to a gelding that wasn't proud cut?

Could it be because she once had a proud cut gelding mount her?

Yes it is pretty normal,having mostly mares in my herd I see them do it routinely:lol:...Hussies

Ladybug2001 07-13-2012 11:09 PM

528 Attachment(s)
Lmao. xD I've seen this mare do it once before, to another gelding. She practically forces her butt in their face, pees, and doesn't leave. I'm always like "Ladybug... he isn't going to help you"

So it is pretty normal?

Can mares not tell if they are gelded or not?

EvilHorseOfDoom 07-13-2012 11:10 PM

Yep, she's just a little hussy! The little Welsh mare down at the riding school does this stuff all the time, and she's only got geldings around her.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sharpie 07-13-2012 11:13 PM

One of the mares where I board does that to my gelding every time she come into estrus. He likes the attention, but has no idea what she's after.

Ladybug2001 07-13-2012 11:16 PM

528 Attachment(s)
Haha, xD. Didn't realize I had such a hussie on my hands.

Sad part is, she just started liking this gelidng I bought two weeks ago. Before she was quiet mean to him. Chasing him, biting him, just down right hateful. Then yesterday she started being loving to him. Tonight my mom was watching her, she squated, urintated and started winking. She was like "I think she is in heat". I watched her do it several more times from the house, then went out to let my chickens out and realized she had actually gotten pee on his chest... I'm lik "Really?" I don't know about this mare, wonder if she is gonna be mean to him again once she realizes he isn't gonna give her anything. xD

COWCHICK77 07-13-2012 11:26 PM

50 Attachment(s)
Yep, That is why you can use a gelding for a teaser.

Ladybug2001 07-13-2012 11:31 PM

528 Attachment(s)
I was just thinking about that too. That is pretty funny. I thought they could tell they are geldings, I know the geldings don't know the what to do unless they were proud cut.

Terre 07-13-2012 11:40 PM

My mare would so this to any male horse even if she was not in season. It was bad.

paintedpastures 07-13-2012 11:45 PM

Well when you have more than one mare cycling they will show also to each other & the geldings:lol:
Yup a regular pee fest!...