The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   ASIST training (Suicide Prevention Training) (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/asist-training-suicide-prevention-training-130783/)

BubblesBlue 07-13-2012 11:52 PM

ASIST training (Suicide Prevention Training)

Has anyone been trained in suicide prevention?

I'm going to a 2 day workshop on it and I wanted to see who else had taken it and see if they liked it or not.

Houston 07-14-2012 10:47 AM

Ah! Yes I've taken the ASIST two day course. The class is a little emotional, unsurprisingly as it has to deal with suicide, but I did enjoy the class.

Hopefully I'll never have to use what I learned, but should I come across such a situation I feel a little bit more prepared than I was before the training.

BubblesBlue 07-14-2012 11:18 AM

That's good to know. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Though I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be the only person my age there though.
I look forward to it.
Posted via Mobile Device

shandasue 07-14-2012 12:25 PM

whats this?
Posted via Mobile Device

Houston 07-14-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubblesBlue (Post 1597348)
That's good to know. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Though I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be the only person my age there though.
I look forward to it.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's good information to know at any age! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by shandasue (Post 1597425)
whats this?
Posted via Mobile Device

ASIST is Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training. It's basically a small course that gives you information and skills to assist someone who is at risk for committing suicide.

LivingWorks :: Programs

shandasue 07-14-2012 04:21 PM

ok thanks. i was just curious because a girl in my FFA chapter recently killed herself due to bullys and i feel like i could have done more for her.
Posted via Mobile Device

dbarabians 07-15-2012 09:10 AM

It is a great course.
I am glad you are taking it.
Suicide is getting the attention it needs to fully address the problem.
Until recently it was a dirty little secret no one talked about.
The number of teens who feel that suicide is the way to handle their problems is alarming,
Teens are very vulnerable due to peer pressure and lack of resources.
Your doing a great thing. Good luck. Shalom