The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Dogs and horses - advice needed (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/dogs-horses-advice-needed-13079/)

JDsmum 08-10-2008 02:01 PM

Dogs and horses - advice needed

Ive got a one year old Cavoodle dog. Love him to bits and love taking him to the paddock... but he is a bogan and doesnt get that the horses will stand on him when he walks under them.
What have other people done to get it through their dogs brains that the horses can do damage to them?
:( Or do i just not ever take him to the paddock?

FutureVetGirl 08-10-2008 02:07 PM

Two suggestions I have... though neither are preferable, and I honestly don't think either would quite work... but these are the only things that popped into my head.

Teach him (somehow) to not go underneath the horse, by any way possible... :P

OR

Let him learn his lesson. If he gets kicked by a horse, that dog's not going to be messing around with the legs any time soon.

But then... don't listen to me. Listen to someone who knows what they're talking about.. :P

geewillikers 08-10-2008 02:12 PM

I would suggest a shock collar (they aren't as terrible as they sound. I recommend trying it on yourself to feel the jolt- keep in mind every dog's skin has a different thickness). I used one on my dog when he had to live with sheep for a couple weeks while I was away..

Also, my dog LOVES to lick the backs of horses legs- dumb, I know- and he got it in the side of the head by a 1.5 year old Belgian the other week. Your dog might have to just get kicked to learn his lesson :)

Edited for language- Dumas

FutureVetGirl 08-10-2008 02:28 PM

Haha... a shock collar worked on my Granddaddy's basset hound... so we decided to try it on our dog... and... well... she yipped at it once... and after that... she completely ignored it (we knew it worked, we tested it on ourselves), but apparently, she was too thick-skinned for it to work. :P

Ranger25 08-10-2008 02:34 PM

I can confirm that every dog is different on the shock collar. I have one that I tried it on and he just looked at me like always while the muscles in his necked danced. He has the most unbelievable pain resistance I have encountered. Sometimes I wonder if it will get him badly hurt some day.

3neighs 08-10-2008 03:46 PM

I have two shih tzu/poodle mix dogs that I just don't let around the horses. I'm not willingly to take a chance of them getting stepped on or kicked. With one being 7 lbs. and one 14 lbs. that "lesson" just isn't worth it, but that's just me. :D