The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Grooming Kit... without proper grooming supplies... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/grooming-kit-without-proper-grooming-supplies-13082/)

FutureVetGirl 08-10-2008 02:43 PM

Grooming Kit... without proper grooming supplies...

OK... so... since the stable I go to tends to have "proper" grooming kits for only the expensive racehorses, and not for the "normal" riding horses, I was wondering if you guys knew of some GOOD and semi-cheap substitutes for grooming gear.

There is no tack shop anywhere near where I am, and I have no idea where there is one... if there is one... in the whole of Serbia. Most people have things shipped from Germany, France, Austria, or even Greece. So I can't exactly step into a tack shop, and pick up a small 10 dollar bag of basic grooming gear.

Any tips for things you can find around in everyday stores or a normal pet store?

Here are some things we already use:
Scrub brushes (the kind you use on dirty floors, hard bristles) as a hard bristle brush/dandy brush, and they work wonders
Shoe-polishing brushes (being really soft) as brushes for finishing touches and for the face

brushes and combs (like the ones for people) for the mane and tail... they work kind of well... if the horse has it's mane and tail brushed every hour or two

normal fly spray for people tends to work OK as fly spray for horses

I've seen some people use bent screwdrivers as hoofpicks... but I'd prefer to use something else (my daddy wouldn't be too happy if i bent up his screwdrivers :P)

girl_on_black_pony 08-10-2008 05:47 PM

ive used sticks as hoofpicks out on the trail (no sharp edges!)
feeding garlic helps keep flies away.
baby oil is a good moisturizer.

FutureVetGirl 08-11-2008 05:04 AM

thanks!

Anybody else have tips?

I really don't like the screwdriver method for hoofpicks... so if someone else has an idea for that...

Parker Horse Ranch 08-11-2008 12:41 PM

Apple cider vingar help keep fly away and I use it and it help my horses. and try to find a hoof pick go to http://jeffersequine.com/ssc/

PoptartShop 08-11-2008 12:45 PM

Oh yes, the apple cider vineger is a definite- it really helps prevent flies. :D

buckaroo2010 08-11-2008 04:57 PM

I have never heard of that for flys :shock:

Jubilee Rose 08-11-2008 05:58 PM

Use a big-toothed comb or regular hairbrush for manes and tails. Baby oil helps with detangling and shining. Regular sponges work awesome for bathing, probably would work for flicking away dust as well.

Sorry its so difficult to get stuff. I wish I could send you some .... Lol.

xNigelx 08-12-2008 03:34 AM

Where do you live?

FutureVetGirl 08-12-2008 03:55 AM

Thank everybody!!

And Nigel... I live in Serbia. Look it up... I get tired of trying to tell everybody where it is.

We have stuff... but I have no idea where... and it's really expensive, since not many people do horseback riding. (almost all of the stables are government owned)

claireauriga 08-12-2008 06:31 AM

Can you order from within Europe? Shipping costs shouldn't be too bad, especially if you bought a few things at once. Germany and the UK spring to mind, as places with lots of horsey activity, but even nearby places like Italy or Bulgaria should have online shops where you can order things from!