The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Hunter/Eventing Coat Color? Does it work? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/hunter-eventing-coat-color-does-work-130833/)

DrillRider 07-14-2012 12:26 PM

Hunter/Eventing Coat Color? Does it work?

I bought a medium gray coat with small pink pin striping when a local tack store was closing. I thought it looked really pretty but I have been looking at pictures from a mini event that was last year (I am going to the same one this year in about a month) and they all have navy or black coats. Does it matter? Im really confused about what to wear since I am mostly a dressage rider and am just starting to do little combine tests. Please help! Thanks!

countercanter 07-14-2012 08:04 PM

You will look out of place at an event or dressage show with a grey coat. If it is a local, unrated or unrecognized event I wouldn't worry too much. A friend of mine usually does the hunter and jumpers but events her mare at low levels sometimes for fun and she wears her grey coat for dressage and stadium.

DrillRider 07-14-2012 10:24 PM

I actually have a black coat for dressage but was wondering for stadium in eventing if it would be ok. I also will use it for english pleasure and english equitation at 4H and maybe the open county show. Would that be ok?

MudPaint 07-15-2012 09:30 AM

Typically for eventing you dont have time to do a wardrobe change, most people just wear their XC garb in show jumping. That being said, I don't see why you can't wear it SJ... and it will certainly look great in the Hunter/pleasure ring.

DrillRider 07-15-2012 09:53 AM

OK! :) I actually am not going to ride XC for this Mini because my horse is lame (actually being rehabbed and started trotting yesterday :) ) and the horse I am going to use not only hasnt been jumped since December (his owner sold him to a lady that pretty much trail rides) but he has never been to an XC course. So I have tons of time between dressage and stadium for my combine test

xJumperx 07-18-2012 11:32 PM

I would say okay with a gray coat for low stuff, but you said it has pink piping? Definate no go for the Hunter ring. For them, it's all tradition, which is unfortunatly boring. So no pink :p Sorry! For Eventing ... I know close to nothing about that world ... sorry!

~*~anebel~*~ 07-18-2012 11:55 PM

Grey coats with colored piping are totally in for Dressage now that the rules have changed to allow more colors. It sounds like a really cute jacket - this thread needs a picture!!
Posted via Mobile Device

countercanter 07-18-2012 11:57 PM

I have a navy coat that has a light blue piping on the collar. Not blingy or flashy, very subtle. There's not a problem with that in the hunter ring.
Posted via Mobile Device

DrillRider 07-19-2012 12:23 AM

I will post a picture tomorrow. It has the wrong amount of buttons for dressage otherwise I would SO use it. I wish my horse could jump better so I could use it more....