The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Pony riding? (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/pony-riding-130835/)

hellokittyrox1234 07-14-2012 12:57 PM

Pony riding?

I am 12 years old- on my mothers account- I'm 100 lbs and about 5' 2.5". Will I be able to ride a small mare pony? I'm sorry I don't know the size, for I do not want to bother my parents about it if I have no use. I don't have much experience with horses but my aunt has boarding that I can use and she'd help me take care of it. Please help me! Thanks.:D

maura 07-14-2012 01:07 PM

Without seeing you and the pony, my guess is no. at 5'2.5", I would think you should be on a large pony, 13.2 - 14.2 hands, or at the very least a very sturdily built medium 12.2 - 13.2. I have trouble imagining someone your height on a small, sorry.

FeatheredFeet 07-16-2012 06:20 PM

How small? You are on a Mini forum. Are you speaking of a Mini Horse - which are not ponies, or another type of pony? Show us a pic of the pony you are speaking of and an approximate height. You don't have to ask anyone else the height of a pony/horse. You can easily judge that for yourself, when standing beside an animal.

For example. The horse in my avatar, is about 13.3. He could easily handle someone of your size and more. He is a stout, Gypsy Horse. A very fine-boned, pony of another breed, might not be a good riding horse for you.

For many years, my daughter owned a wonderful Haffie gelding. He was probably 13hh at the most, yet could and has carried, big 6 ft. tall men, on trips up and down the mountains. For the last few years, he has been in shows and gymkhanas, with a young lady, much your size.

Lizzie

Endiku 07-16-2012 07:18 PM

Yes, as stated- it depends on what you consider to be 'small.' If you're talking about a shetland or miniature horse, my answer is an indefinite no. Shetlands, though very strong their size, aren't very tall at all, and miniatures are generally even smaller. In fact, I'm of the opinion that they shouldnt be ridden at all. Not even by tiny children. Our shetland is about 325 pounds give or take some, but I'd never put anyone over 60 pounds on him.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...5/Cowboy40.jpg

If you're talking about an actual pony though, then you might possibly be ok. At your height and weight, I'd say that a stocky pony over 12.2hh would be fine, but remember that you will most likely hit a big growth spurt in the next year or two and will be too large for the pony. For that reason I'd recommend a pony of about 13.2hh because at that size, you would probably be able to ride it without having to worry about outgrowing it in a few years.

I'm sixteen and finished growing (sadly xD) I'm 4'11 and ~90 pounds, and I won't ride anything smaller than our very stocky 11.2hh welsh/shetland pony, especially if doing anything more than a walk.

If you dont have much experience though, what about taking lessons on a horse instead? That way you could learn without worrying about it being too scary or outgrowing it, and you'd be ready for any horse that you might buy in the future?

ClementineKate 08-15-2012 07:39 PM

Currently I ride a Welsh B, approximate 13hh. I am 5'1" and find my "pony" a joy after years of riding 16 to 17hh warm bloods :) 13hh is great!

Foxesdontwearbowties 08-15-2012 08:46 PM

As everyone else said, it depends on the pony's size. Post a picture if you could. (:
My mare is 13.2 hh, I'm 5"5 and 105 lbs, and she easily carries me.

DoubleS 08-15-2012 09:03 PM

I literally rode my 9.3hh Shetland cross pony until my feet almost dragged on the ground. I was small and skinny (definitely not hard for her to carry) but I looked a bit goofy on her. Finally my parents got me a big horse at 11! Lol!
I think you could be fine a stocky 12hh ish pony, but I definitely wouldn't go any smaller than that.

Wheatermay 11-02-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endiku (Post 1600775)

I'm sixteen and finished growing (sadly xD) I'm 4'11 and ~90 pounds, and I won't ride anything smaller than our very stocky 11.2hh welsh/shetland pony, especially if doing anything more than a walk.

If you dont have much experience though, what about taking lessons on a horse instead? That way you could learn without worrying about it being too scary or outgrowing it, and you'd be ready for any horse that you might buy in the future?

UR SIXTEEN! I'm sorry to tell u, but u are not done growing, lol... U still got about 6 more years for your hips to widen and ur boobs to grow.... THEN ur metabolism drops and u have to exercise ur butt off, or u will grow out! HAHA!