The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Anyone want to let me borrow an Airboat? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/anyone-want-let-me-borrow-airboat-130870/)

Endiku 07-14-2012 05:19 PM

Anyone want to let me borrow an Airboat?

Because I really need one. Maybe I'll get some extra money by holding swamp tours...in our pasture.

On the slight chance that you might of noticed that I seemed to of dissapeared in the past week or so, I'd like to inform you that it it is due to the fact that my side of Texas is currenly under water...literally.

Remember that last year I was complaining about not having any rain? Well now I'm going to be a poo and complain about TOO MUCH rain! :lol: It has rained every single day for the past eight days. And when I say it rained, I don't mean a few little showers. I mean full out pouring-cats-and-dogs thunderstorms. And ofcourse, being situated in army corps land that happens to be very low and also happens to have a 20 ft wide creek running through it, it was natural for our farm to become completely submerged in water by Wednesday. On Tuesday morning the creek had turned into a raging river and washed out our bridge from one side of the land to the other, that afternoon our trails were turned into a miniature river, and by that evening the entire farm was submerged in 6-12" of water, depending on the area.

Our feed room flooded, our hay storage shed flooded (ruining 65 bales of hay), our tack room flooded, the stalls flooded, and the pastures were a lake. Wednesday morning, we made the decision to evacuate the animals...which is NOT an easy feat considering that as of right now we have 38 horses, three being in foal- 2 goats, 10 head of cattle, 14 chickens, two peacocks, a potbellied pig, two turkies, and four ducks O_o As of right now they are all divided up between the race track which is sheltering a large number of local animals and, get this.... our houses. Thats right my friends, I have Sour, Clyd, and two other ponies IN MY SUBURB BACKYARD along with my three dogs XD

On top of all of that, I also happened to almost step (more like swim onto) on a 4 1/2" copperhead snake which is just fantastic...she was promptly beheaded with my shovel though (who knew snakes can live for nearly an hour after their head is chopped off?!)and when we finally get to move back to the farm I have a feeling that her cousins and brothers and sisters will all be out and looking for revenge O_o

Now that I'm done with my lovely little rant, I'd like to ask this.

HAVE ANY OF MY FELLOW TEXANS ADVOIDED DROWNING?!

FlyGap 07-14-2012 05:35 PM

28 Attachment(s)
Oh dear! Send it up here! I'll gladly take it, no air boat but I do have several canoes! I have killed four copperheads and three rattle snakes by my air conditioner drain! They are coming out of the woods to drink!!!!! Be careful!!!

We got some rain today, about half an inch but we need 18 to get back on track. I live on a mountain so send it on up, we won't drown.

Hang in there! Praying for it to let up and migrate this a way!
Posted via Mobile Device

Golden Horse 07-14-2012 05:37 PM

That sucks, stay safe, hope the floods recede soon

equiniphile 07-14-2012 06:34 PM

Hoping it dries up soon!

We're having an awful summer. Hot, and with absolutely no rain. The pastures aren't faring so well.

COWCHICK77 07-14-2012 07:50 PM

50 Attachment(s)
Oh geez! I seen that on the news the other morning about the flooding down your way. I am a few hours from you and it has only been cloudy and we might get a short rain here and there. I imagine moving your critters is like a full on operation rather than haltering a couple of horses and head to town. Wow, that's a herd!

Well I hope things dry out and stay away from them **** Copperheads! Eeeek!

Endiku 07-14-2012 10:51 PM

Oh yes, it took the better part of a day to get everyone out. Thankfully a few friends gave us their time and lent us their trailers, so we had two 16" stock trailers and two 2 horse trailers. Still, we were out there from 6 am until nearly 5 pm! It was especially tricky because our three fosters, the goats, and the pig still arent keen on loading into trailers- especially in water. And we had to bring the eleven geldings pastured out on the side where our bridge washed out onto a busy road. Luckily all but two of the eleven are seasoned ranch horses and we didnt have any accidents, but it was definitely interesting!

As for the copperheads....ick. I think thats the biggest darned snake I've ever seen on our farm! Hopefully when the creek goes back down it will take the snakes with it. Not leave them for me to deal with.

waresbear 07-14-2012 11:11 PM

Thank you for making me very grateful for where I live, you're a sweetie! I whined & complained because we had so much rain until July arrived. Hot, sunny, bumper hay crops, pastures green & lush. Every evening it cools down so I can enjoy pleasant rides and the BEST part? NO poisonous creatures of any kind! Chin up kiddo, it has got to get better!
Posted via Mobile Device

Endiku 07-15-2012 12:58 PM

sorry guys, I keep putting " instead of ' XD it was NOT a 4 1/2 inch snake and not a 16 inch trailer...LOL.

Waresbear- don't be suprised if you find Sour and I huddled in your backyard sometime soon! I am so sick of snakes, tarantulas, bobcats, and possums >.> Just three weeks ago I was walking along with one of my autistic students on the trail and nearly stepped on a coiled up coral snake...and didn't realize that it was a coral snake until after it had hissed at me and slithered away (I had to repeat the rhyme in my head 'red and black friend if jack, red and yellow kill a fellow'....heh) and last week we spotted a very thin bobcat with two kittens in one of our pastures. All of the construction that has been closing in on our farm is pushing all of the critters in towards us, which is NOT good news when most of your horses are under 300 pounds, perfect prey size- and you have children running around all of the time :/

MHFoundation Quarters 07-15-2012 01:04 PM

No airboat but I would gladly loan you our pontoon, ski boat or waverunners in trade for some of your rain!

Glad you got all of the animals out safely. Will send up a prayer for it to dry up for you guys!

Endiku 07-15-2012 02:03 PM

Sounds like a good trade to me! As of right now it is once again pouring rain...the ponies in my backyard are all huddled up on my deck trying to escape the water.

On the bright side, I dont have to mow the lawn anymore! They've already got it nicely trimmed down, water and all :lol:. I guess it IS a good thing that we keep our back yard all organic!

One question for you guys. I'm sure that the constant standing water has got to be doing horrid things to their hooves...does anyone know of anything that I can apply/do to them to keep them from getting thrush or weakened hoof walls? I really dont feel like dealing with 38 cases of thrush at the same time >.>