The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   some constructive crit? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/some-constructive-crit-130872/)

barrelbeginner 07-14-2012 05:56 PM

some constructive crit?

okay this is sunny:) he is slowly loping the pattern around tires:) my barrels blew away:/ what do yall think? i know around third he like stops a little bit?

video-2012-07-13-18-05-29.mp4 video by sjsj_2009 - Photobucket

and please dont say he isnt going to do anything in the future and itsnt going to make it places:) ill prove you wrong:) just give me some tips on how to make it better:)

ThirteenAcres 07-14-2012 11:42 PM

Like I said before, I really like this little practice run. To me, he just looks effortless. He's not fighting, he's eager to do what he's doing. It's a nice practice run.

When you're ready to step it up, my suggestions would be to push more coming out of the barrels to the next barrel to step up your speed. And continue practicing as you are.

QHriderKE 07-15-2012 12:40 AM

Alrighty... I would reccomend doing some drills instead of the pattern continuously. He is doing really well, and I think it would be really easy for him to get bored just working the pattern. Give some of the drills in Drums thread a try and work on getting him really wanting to drive out of the turn and turn hard. Dena Kirkpatrick has a few videos that are worth watching: shoulder up, hip in, and inside hind leg up and under!!!

barrelbeginner 07-15-2012 10:39 PM

thanks guys:) anyone else?

CLaPorte432 07-15-2012 10:49 PM

893 Attachment(s)
I think that looked really good girly! Good job!

Hows looks comfortable and confident in what hes doing. Your giving him a good pocket so he can turn with ease.

The only thing i can see is getting him onto his correct leads. Other then that...just keep at it.

Dont push too much too fast (like weve talked about before) but from the looks of it, you might be able to add a little more speed between barrels. I wouldnt add it around the barrel yet, let him find and keep his balance around those, but hes doing very well!
Posted via Mobile Device

barrelbeginner 07-15-2012 11:02 PM

thanks:) i think he is doing well too:) i will try to get a better video tomroow with barrels .. today i did them at a lope once or twice then walking around ramdom barrels.. then i walked the pattern and i didnt even really have to put force into it.. i just held him to a walk .. and he turned on his own:)! sometimes i had to re enforce the turn as the horses on the sideline would distract him lol.. when do you recommend that i start taking him to shows?