The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is she worth a 21 hour drive??

5K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  SlideStop 
#1 ·
http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1802382

She is about 21 hours away from me in New York. Do you think she would be worth going to see? Do you think she has any potential for improvement? My goal would be to put a little work into her over the winter and show her next summer in local green classes. And the price seems right!

One thing I do know is she is stinking CUTE!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

#5 ·
I like her a little. She has a couple little things in her confo that aren't ideal (straighter hocks, long back) but she still looks like a nice enough little ride. Trot might be a bit rough, but that's not uncommon in cow bred horses.

There are a lot of things that can be improved on her if you have the knowledge or budget for more intensive and proper training. Her lead change that they did show looked rather rough (hoppity-skip and really threw her head) and her spins were just...bad. Wrong pivot foot, she looked like she was backing into them and didn't really seem to know where her feet were at. In the circles, she seemed way overbent to me. A good reiner needs to have bend in their body, but they should also be following their nose along the arc. She had her nose way to the inside of the circle and it made her look like she was shouldering out the entire time. They were also right about her stop, it needs quite a bit of work. She's still landing pretty heavy on her front end and it's a 4 footed stop.

Of course, I have no idea how much of that might have been rider error, but....

She looks like she has a lot of potential to improve. She'll probably never be "great", but more than likely she'd do well at the level you're looking for...with the proper training. The main question is whether you think she's worth traveling so far to see a horse that needs so much work. Personally, I wouldn't, but that may just be me.

#7 ·
I think she is pretty cute & has a good start on her but yes needs more finishing hence I guess why they have her priced lower as not a finished horse.I thought though she would be more advanced than that said she was in training as 2 yr old, just that would make me want a full PPE.How much pro training has she actually had & how much is the owner just been trying to work with her that may be the reason she is not so finished:-( Don't think she stands out that much that i'd be driving that far to check her out:shock: I'd be asking for more alot more info,videos & pics first:D If you are still smitten with her then you can make that decision about travelling.:wink:

#8 ·
Thanks!!

My budget is pretty tight. I'm actually horse shopping for a friends "spare" horse aka the horse I ride 99.9% of the time. I've been looking for some finished horses and I sadly many of them aren't within my 5-6,000 price range, which I know is VERY tight to begin with. Plus I live on Long Island so as soon as you bring any horse here their price skyrockets. Lol. Hence why I'm looking out of state and unfinished.

I did sent the owners an email stating exactly what I need this.horse to do. Hopefully they can send me more pictures and videos too.

I'm also going to have my trainer look at the videos, depending on if my friend likes her. I guess I'll go from there.

Any more opinions are MORE then welcome!

Thanks everyone!
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
Remember you'll have to transport her 21 hours, or rather do the journey in legs and have stopovers so it will take a lot longer than that. Could be costly - even if you float her yourselves you'll need to pay board at the stopovers.
Posted via Mobile Device

#11 ·
Personally I would pass, just driving there and the possibility of not purchasing would be a waste of $$. And if you would get her then you can add several hundred more since the cost of trailering adds fuel cost. Having them shipped isn't cheap either. I would keep looking in a closer area. If you can put that much into gas I would put it into the cost of the horse locally.

#12 ·
21 hour drive for a $3500 horse who has some big holes in her training. Some of which are going to be easy to fix and others very hard. I would look to see what is around your area before I went that far.

#13 ·
I know nothing about reining, but the first thing that I noticed is that she was pivoting on the wrong foot. Not sure how easy or hard that would be to fix. Are there really no horses in your area that fit your needs? 21 hours is a long haul, and then you will have to pay for hotel, gas, and time off work.

#14 ·
nope wouldnt drive 1hr let alone 21 to look at her.
I dont like how she is put together, her canter was disunited in the canter and very heavy on the forehand and 101 other things jump out at me as not right and going to take a lot to fix

#15 ·
There are... With a price tag of $9-12,000 which is pretty out of my budget. I was browsing craigslist and saw a few others. I emailed their owners so we will see what happens.

Also I have a trainer (and her entire family) who can help me work through any problems.

I'm going to look for others and keep this one in mind just incase.
Posted via Mobile Device

#19 ·
There are... With a price tag of $9-12,000 which is pretty out of my budget. I was browsing craigslist and saw a few others. I emailed their owners so we will see what happens.

Also I have a trainer (and her entire family) who can help me work through any problems.

I'm going to look for others and keep this one in mind just incase.
Posted via Mobile Device
Depending where in NY you are, you could also look in Canada, but if you do, don't forget the requirements for transborder shipping.

I'd never go 21 hours for a horse. And at $3500 vs. $9000 - the price diff of $5500 is at least half eaten up in travel and shipping I would guess. Assuming you would even take her. Plus, after driving 21 hours, people tend to get a subconcious mindset that they are going to buy whatever they are looking at regardless simply because they put so much time into just looking.

#17 ·
Personally, I would be much more interested in a horse that was perhaps younger and more green broke if they were started and ridden properly than one that was farther along in their training but had issues that would need to be corrected.

For example, if I were looking at this mare and another mare of the same price but the other was barely 4 and had 90-120 days really good training on her, I would definitely take the greener of the 2. IME, correcting issues is a lot harder and more time consuming than just taking the time to get them trained in there right the first time.

#18 ·
^^^ I agree. We bought our youngest mare as a coming 4 yr old with a couple of weeks of training and 5 trail rides under her and she has been no problem at all...and no bad habits to undo.
Posted via Mobile Device

#20 ·
I'm on Long Island. It takes me about 45-1hr to get off the island alone so I'm pretty far south.

My barn shipped a horse cross country for about $4,000. We would probably bring the trailer if we were definitely considering her. I have some connections on the west side Pennsylvania so we would layover there. There would also be another person trailering, not just me.

But like I said, she is going on the back burner.
Posted via Mobile Device

#25 ·
Wow!! That amazing! Keep me updated on her. It was just to far to look at a hopeful. =\ But I hope she is everything you were looking for and MORE. =D My trainer is actually selling a horse just down the street from me who looks as pretty as this girl ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

#26 ·
Now I am curious. Appreiner-did you find this horse on your own or through this post? I have my suspicions as to your answer. This is why, if I were REALLY interested in a horse I would not post the link. Pics maybe, if they were not traceable so someone else could buy her while I was thinking.

Good luck fixing her.

#27 ·
I actually found her on horse classified website. She's on several. I was looking for more info on her dam & sire and found this horse forum AFTER I had already purchased the horse. I find it interesting though how people like to tear down a horse they haven't researched. She is well started and well bred and she will be successful and best of all she is MINE! So NO I did not find her from this website but thought the naysayers out there should be a little more informed before dulling out bad advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.