The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Best way to get a horse to canter? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/best-way-get-horse-canter-130921/)

Jacqueline789 07-15-2012 07:41 AM

Best way to get a horse to canter?

Best way to make a horse canter? Say on the right rein..... I dont understand which leg you kick with? and why do you only use one leg not both to kick?

jinxremoving 07-15-2012 09:45 AM

1. Find an instructor in your area, learning to ride will be so much easier.

2. If you want to pick up the canter on the right rein, create an inside bend and ask with your outside (left) leg ever so slightly behind the girth. It might be easier to do when exiting a corner at the sitting trot, that's usually how they teach beginners to ask for the canter.

3. You shouldn't have to kick to ask for the canter unless you have an extremely lazy horse that doesn't listen at all, and that's assuming you are asking 100% correctly to begin with. It should be a natural progression of aids, you ask (squeeze), then insist (kick), then demand (spurs / crop) if necessary.

DancingArabian 07-15-2012 09:50 AM

What riding discipline?
Posted via Mobile Device

Jacqueline789 07-15-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingArabian (Post 1598551)
What riding discipline?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ummm.... English style

LoveHipHop 07-15-2012 01:54 PM

First of all, I agree with getting a riding instructor - they'll teach you how to ride properly and safely if you get a good one!
As said before, you don't really kick, just squeeze. You should be using equal pressure with both legs, not just one: just place your outside leg (if you're on the right rein, that's your left leg) behind the girth slightly. Ask for a slight inside (on the right rein, to the right) bend from the horse; many riders (and horses!) find it easier to canter from sitting trot whilst leaving a corner, as this helps to horse and rider achieve the correct leg.
To check you're on the correct leg, you can glance down quickly at your hores's shoulders: the outside shoulder should move forwards before the inside one, and that works on both reins, that's an easy way to do it!
Good luck! :)

Jacqueline789 07-15-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveHipHop (Post 1598766)
First of all, I agree with getting a riding instructor - they'll teach you how to ride properly and safely if you get a good one!
As said before, you don't really kick, just squeeze. You should be using equal pressure with both legs, not just one: just place your outside leg (if you're on the right rein, that's your left leg) behind the girth slightly. Ask for a slight inside (on the right rein, to the right) bend from the horse; many riders (and horses!) find it easier to canter from sitting trot whilst leaving a corner, as this helps to horse and rider achieve the correct leg.
To check you're on the correct leg, you can glance down quickly at your hores's shoulders: the outside shoulder should move forwards before the inside one, and that works on both reins, that's an easy way to do it!
Good luck! :)

I already have a riding instructor, and i ride as much as i can.

LoveHipHop 07-15-2012 02:06 PM

Thats good you have an instructor, then!
They should teach you how to ask for canter correctly when they believe you're ready! :)

Skyseternalangel 07-15-2012 02:09 PM

You don't kick sweetie. You do squeeze though. Kicking isn't really a cue.

You sit, support with the inside leg ON the girth and then your outside leg goes a little bit behind the girth and then you apply leg and ride the transition.

jinxremoving 07-15-2012 02:10 PM

A few books I would highly recommend in addition to your lessons:

http://www.amazon.com/United-States-Pony-Manual-Horsemanship/dp/0876059523/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342375694&sr=8-1&keywords=us+pony+club
http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Riding-Lessons-Horse-Guides/dp/158017082X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1342375730&sr=1-1&keywords=getting+the+most+from+riding+lessons

The UK probably has their own pony club manuals, so look into them if you can. They are super helpful!

bsms 07-15-2012 02:37 PM

For purposes of visualizing the leg cues...and the English riders may jump on me for this:

Imagine you have a tall rectangle on your computer screen. Each corner represents a foot of your horse, and you horse is facing the top. Now imagine you have tilted the rectangle to the right, so the corner closest the top is on the left.

On a left turn, you want your horse reaching furthest with his left front leg as you go thru the turn. If the rectangle is tilted right, it puts the left in front - which is what you want for a left lead.

I think the cues actually work more with the hind legs - that you are supposed to move the right leg back, not to tilt the triangle, but to cue him to start with his right rear leg and that will put him on the left lead. However, for remembering, I find the tilted rectangle easier.

Here is a link by Jane Sayoie to read & think about:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Canter-On-The-Correct-Lead-Everytime!&id=775501