The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   If someone asked me what discipline I do, what should I say? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/if-someone-asked-me-what-discipline-130930/)

englishaqh 07-15-2012 11:07 AM

If someone asked me what discipline I do, what should I say?

Hi,
So I have a young horse and I have been training a lot. When people ask what I do, I kind of say English pleasure or just general English...

I've been focusing a lot on bending/collecting, a nice organized walk/trot... I've done some crossrails with her but I am not doing them right now as I am focusing on really getting to the core of her training first with my mare.

I am interested in doing dressage with her, not certain but it is an idea, but I know that we have to work on framing up, getting more control, and both of our general skills first.

Am I right by saying I do English Pleasure or do you think I am actually doing another discipline? Hahaha sorry if this is a weird question, but it does confuse me sometimes.

TexasBlaze 07-15-2012 11:07 AM

Horsemanship =) or Hunt Seat Equitation

englishaqh 07-15-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasBlaze (Post 1598590)
Horsemanship =) or Hunt Seat Equitation

MOVING THIS TO ENGLISH RIDING (sorry I forgot I could do that) so POST ANY REPLIES IN ENGLISH RIDING PLEASE FROM NOW ON!!!!

TexasBlaze: Thanks for the advice by the way (: Can you clarify what the definitions of those disciplines are in English Riding for this thread? I'm about to post it

TexasBlaze 07-15-2012 11:33 AM

Theyre basically the same thing. Just horsemanship is western and hunt seat is english. In the show world its a pattern class judged on how well the rider rides the horse (as in transitions, circles, stops, back, maybe a pivot.) Basically how well the rider rides the horse. Riders need a good horse to do this however because you never want to look out of control of the horse and you want them to look like an absolute pro. Youtube some videos and watch. Its a relatively simple class but i think it fits your description excellently.

gypsygirl 07-15-2012 11:36 AM

i would just say you do english

englishaqh 07-15-2012 11:49 AM

@TexasBlaze: Thank you so much. That does make a lot of sense. So hunt seat can be just on the flat? Like I said I'm not working on jumping at the moment. And I don't compete yet, I should have mentioned that as well... it's just kind of that I want to explain and be able to be proud of my discipline.

and @gypsygirl: Yeah that does make sense and thank you for your opinion its just I want to have a description a little bit more specific than that

Joe4d 07-15-2012 12:58 PM

I usually tell people I ride western, but eventually i have to turn around and ride eastern to get back to the house.

Endiku 07-15-2012 01:05 PM

^ :clap:Now now Joe, you really ought to quit changing disciplines like that! Your poor horse must be so confused.

englishaqh 07-15-2012 02:01 PM

Hahahaha. Oh man, Joe. ;D

gypsygirl 07-15-2012 08:29 PM

if you dont want to say just 'english' then i would say 'english, he is just young but we are working towards jumping'