The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Should you hand feed your horse?? (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/should-you-hand-feed-your-horse-130955/)

VersatileHorse 07-15-2012 02:59 PM

Should you hand feed your horse??

I've herd lots of people's opinions about hand feeding horses that it makes your horse spoiled and disrespectful and one guy said he saw a little girl get her hand bitten. I've been told not to so I don't do it anymore and my horses don't beg and strech out their neck for my pockets anymore but I saw someone go into a pasture with 6 horses and 2 carrots and all the horses were coming after her for the carrots but she fed them anyways nothing bad happened just the horses were pushy it looked kinda dangerous. I just want peoples opinions weather I should hand feed or not. So sorry about the long message but I'd appreciate your comments

Calming Melody 07-15-2012 03:05 PM

I hand feed my horses but it's not an everday type thing ...it's like every once in a while . I personally don't see any harm in it .

goneriding 07-15-2012 03:08 PM

You said the horses were pushy, it will get worse. I will give an occasional apple or carrot over the fence to my horses but it is not very often. I personally would not make a habit out of it.

kittersrox 07-15-2012 03:10 PM

I personally try not to hand feed my horse, and I don't want people to give my horse treats (without my permission). I used to give my gelding treats but he started to get really demanding so I stopped the treats. I don't want him to bite someone's fingers because he wants treats.

On occasion I will hand feed him a treat, but I try not to. I like my fingers and a respectful horse :-)

LovesMyDunnBoy 07-15-2012 03:11 PM

I had to hand feed my colt his feed for a little while because we had two episodes of choke. That was when I was terrified to feed him in his pan, but I eventually just put his soaked feed down and watched him with no problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

TristaJean 07-15-2012 03:24 PM

I occasionally hand feed treats, but it does make my horse pushy so I try to never give food as a reward.
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintHorseMares 07-15-2012 03:25 PM

You can do it without your horses getting pushy IF you don't accept ANY bad behavior while feeding. I hand feed treats (carrots and apples) every day without incident and all our mares wait patiently and there is never any nipping or fussing. When you're in a group of horses, any fussing is dangerous, and if there is any hint of fussing, they would all get run off.
Posted via Mobile Device

katec1991 07-15-2012 03:31 PM

I hand feed my gelding treats occasionally, but I make it random so he never expects to get a treat at a certain time or for doing a certain thing. And I make sure he is behaving himself before I give him anything. He is not a pushy horse by any means.

Back2Horseback 07-16-2012 06:00 AM

(NOT in any manner making fun of the OP, but)--->
I just literally LOL after reading the HILARIOUS statement she writes: "...six horses and two carrots..." It brought this imagery to mind like..."Holy CRAP! THIS ratio is NEVER gonna work--Arghhh, run away!!!" ;-)

Sorry...as for hand feeding, I agree...on OCCASION, but never expected, and never to reward the same behavior day after day or it becomes an expectation which can grow in a VERY pushy horse(s) for SURE!

Skyseternalangel 07-16-2012 06:23 AM

On a special occasion otherwise no it goes into the feed bowl