The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   5 year old breathing. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/5-year-old-breathing-130958/)

HarleyWood 07-15-2012 03:09 PM

5 year old breathing.

he seems to breath a little funny when he is worked a lot or when trotting for a long time.

if i work him more would he get use to working harder i try to loung him twice a day. and ride once.

Jetson 07-16-2012 12:40 PM

Funny like making noise?

HarleyWood 07-16-2012 04:58 PM

yea almost like its hard to tak e a breath. but he will run around and work for me..

shaggy 07-16-2012 08:48 PM

is he flaring any? If he is he might be having a reaction to something. my horse had a bad reaction to the pollen back in the spring and starting flaring really bad. He still does on really hot days. and he coughs a lot when i first trot him.

HarleyWood 07-16-2012 10:06 PM

i havent realized him coughing, at all. he flares a little.. but he usually does when he works hard, his nostrals are pretty big..

Jetson 07-17-2012 08:25 AM

How long have you owned him? If he is new to you and continues on with this, I would highly suggest getting him scoped. Of course it could be anything, could just be out of shape etc. But from my own personal experience of purchasing a horse that would breathe heavy and nostrils flaring, a scope is the only way you are going to know whats happening. Im not sure I would suggest working him harder to get him used to the work until you have some definate answers. You would feel terrible if you worked a horse hard that truly couldnt get enough air.

Saddlebag 07-17-2012 08:51 AM

If you place your ear tight to his body by the last rib about midway down you should be able to listen to his breathing. You want to hear air whooshing. You don't want to hear crackles which can indicate lung inflammation. Wait about 5 minutes after you horse has eaten anything, even a small treat as the gut sounds can block out what you are listening for.

HarleyWood 07-17-2012 07:10 PM

i got him May 8th 2011, and didnt hear it last year that i remember. and my trainer had him for a month and never told me about it. we did add more dirt to the arena that they can go into as a shelter, as our base to the arena/stalls, and started to put sand down, so it got pretty dusty in there when they go in there and after i ride but we mostly walk with a little trotting. and we started to work outside in the pasture (gets scared when outside of and enclosed area,and the other horses were in the other pasture.) and it seemed pretty good but i only hear it when they have been in the pasture where they could go into the barn...