The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Drafts? (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/drafts-13098/)

appylover31803 08-10-2008 06:50 PM

Drafts?

Where did everyone get their drafts or draft crosses?
I've really been thinking about getting a draft cross as my next horse. I've looked online and didn't really see much, and i'm not sure where to go next.

I've seen a lot of babies for sale, but i'm not sure if i could handle getting a baby. I mean, i don't care about not riding it, as there are other horses i could ride, but i'm not sure if i'm even capable of training it. If i did get a baby, i would most certainly get help of a trainer, no doubt about that.

Solon 08-10-2008 09:53 PM

I found mine through a group that was at the local County fair. A lot of county fairs have drafts so that'd be a great way to check into the different breeds all in one place.

I don't know that I'd recommend a baby for someone that has never owned a draft before. They aren't like light horses. Looking back, I don't think I'd do it again having no experiences with drafts before I got my boy as a 2 yr old.

Might be good to get an experienced draft first, then as you gain more knowledge of the breed move to a younger one if that's something you want to do.

Dreamhorse has LOTS of draft listed but the following site is THE site for drafts for sale.

http://www.draftsforsale.com/

appylover31803 08-10-2008 10:34 PM

I actually found a horse on there... he's a percheron TB cross..he's about 2 hours from me and I contacted the seller (she's in Florida which i thought was odd because the horse is in NJ) And i'll see what she says.

The more i thought about it, if i am having trouble with my mare, i dont think i'm in the right state to train a youngster. I guess the baby cuteness captured me.

I did go to the Sussex county fair yesterday and they had a whole bunch of different horses, but i was so tired from earlier in the day, that i went home to rest. :( And today was the last day :(

I'm sure i'll find the right horse for me... just have to be patient.

Thanks for the information Solon! I appreciate it!

Solon 08-10-2008 10:39 PM

Whatever you do preplan if you are getting a draft.

Farrier - that's going to be the hardest to find. Make sure ahead of time you can get a farrier that will work on a draft.

Get a vet check no matter what. Ask if the horse has been on a high fat diet - what kind of feed it's been given.

appylover31803 08-10-2008 11:42 PM

i would have to ask my current farrier if he does drafts.

Do they need to be on a high fat diet?

My gelding is on the legends sweet feed, and my mare is on the legends pelleted. Would those be considered high in fat?

I'll let you know what happens in my horse search :)

Also, how hard it is to find draft tack? Is most of it online rather than in tack stores?
Are there special draft saddles?

Kirsti Arndt 08-11-2008 10:00 AM

all of Sonnys tack is draft-i will ask Donna the BM where she bought it all-she did say that her wynteck (sp) would fit him with a gusset change. Draft stuff is a bit more expensive but they are so cool it is worth it to me to pay the extra-Solon is right on about farriers-some jsut wont touch the drafts,also depending on how big your future guy is trailering can be an issue. good luck with your search!

appylover31803 08-11-2008 11:29 AM

i totally forgot about trailering too.

I still need to think all of this out and get the answers and everything.

danastark 08-13-2008 02:01 AM

Although I highly recommend draft/draft cross horses, you'd be better off getting a mature horse. That way you really know what you are getting. I got my draft colt when he was 11 mos. old. He was predicted to be 16 hds but at 4 he's almost 18 hds so now I need a new trailer...... His tack hasn't been more expensive really, just harder to find. I didn't have a problem with finding a farrier to do him, they just tend to charge more. In CA we're pretty populated so there are lots of farriers to choose from which is good.

My Cody has a great temperment and has been fairly easy to train so far but I'd say with your past experience, you need a confidence builder :) Goodluck in your horse search.

BraideeMyBaby 08-26-2008 08:45 PM

mybe you should consider adopting a pmu mare or foal they r so cheap if you dont know what pmu mares and foals r google it almoust all of the mares and foals that ive seen r draft like Belgian or Clydsedales rarely ive ever seen a gypsy but like there between 0$ 2 1000$ and sometimes free

Solon 08-26-2008 08:54 PM

No sweet feeds! They are not good for drafts.

Wintec has a 10" gullet that is much better than the extra wide in the gullet change system, but only if you have a bigger draft. If you don't then the gullet change system will work okay.

Getting a mature draft with riding experience would be your best route.

Also, get Dr. Beth Valentine's book, Draft Horse's an Owner's Manual. It has everything you could ever want to know about drafts. Amazon.com has them.