The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   who here has studied or is studieing equine science in australia (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/who-here-has-studied-studieing-equine-131002/)

nyx 07-15-2012 08:47 PM

who here has studied or is studieing equine science in australia

I have completed cert II in horse industry skills and am enrolling to pick up a few subjects so I can complete cert III so I can apply for equine science at UNI.

I want to study part time and most likely by distance so I can still work full time. (only way I can see possible for my situation)
if any one can help with advice or give me an idea of workload?
Thanks

Saskia 07-15-2012 11:39 PM

I haven't done it personally, but have known people to study similar courses.

Often the first year has a few general science units - such as biology, chemistry or specific basic animal things. These units can be pretty tedious, and can require a lot of study to a learn a lot of rather broad things. Second and third year units are generally better, not because they're easier (although often they can be) but because the subject matter can be a lot more interesting. Even if they require a lot of work, it can be easier as their often fewer but more focussed assessment pieces (although not always).

A lot of it is going to depend on how you study. Some can get by with very little, other need a lot. Some people would out a study plan and are very efficient and effective, where as others sometimes just wade through the material aimlessly and procrastinate. So its hard to give an estimate of workload, especially as each individual unit will be different.

I don't think distance education is inherently harder than any other, but all studying requires a lot of discipline. That's where I always fall apart.

You can always give it a go for a semester or two. The only thing I worry about is practicality of the degree. You're looking at CSU?

nyx 07-16-2012 12:16 AM

Hmm Yeh a tad worried about if I can actually find the motivation to study, but it will be something I want to learn this time so I think it will be alot easier. :)
Umm I think it was CSU I was looking at a few different unis and I didnt get a UAI at highschool and they dont take on mature age so I have to get my cert III.
Would you think a tafe diploma would decrease the amount of subjects ill have to do or..?

Saskia 07-16-2012 12:38 AM

No. It's rare that universities will accept non-tertiary study for advanced standing. I even changed universities and had difficulty getting them to accept study from another uni.

Motivation and discipline is the hardest thing I think, and the reason most people drop out, so make sure you really want to do it. If you're doing it part time that is six years of constant study. You have no idea what you're going to be doing in six years so really think it through.

Especially Equine Science, I don't mean to talk it down or anything but its not the kind of degree that really qualifies you for anything (neither did mine though). On top of that, the units you do aren't really that universally applicable. It's not like they'll be useful in many other industries. What is it that you plan to do? I've known people to do it and they haven't really ended up anywhere that the equivalent time of experience wouldn't have got them.

Finally, especially with this degree, doing distance might subtract a lot from the experience. A lot of the things I have difficulty understanding how you would learn via distance. Do you know how it works? Do they have a lot of mandatory intensive schools? Have you considered moving to Wagga and studying there full time?

Just really think it through. It's a long time and a fair bit of money.

I'm not trying to be negative though. CSU seems like a pretty decent uni, I've known people who went there who had a great time. And I think their Equine Science course is the best.

nyx 07-16-2012 01:02 AM

Yeh im still tossing and turning the benifits.
Weather or not its really the course I wanna do. if I dont do this my work will make me do engineering and ill rather study something im interested in. And Yeh I will look into moving to wagga to study full time they have heaps good facilities there im even looking into some vetenary courses but dunno if im cut out for it. I have about a year up my sleeve to really consumer my options though.
Why are career options sooo hard lol.