The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   ~Cross Country Vest~ (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/%7Ecross-country-vest%7E-131014/)

eventprospect 07-15-2012 10:42 PM

~Cross Country Vest~

So I've had my cross country vest for about 2 or 3 years now, and I've heard that if you've had a serious fall that you should get a new one?! Not sure if this is a valid statement but I would like another opinion on it before buying a new one.
Thanks!!

kindraeventing 07-24-2012 06:42 PM

The manufacturers recommend that you replace a vest like you would a helmet. So ya, a bad fall and you should get a new one. The logic behind that is that your vest is basically made out of the same material as your helmet, just lacking the hard outer shell. So if you fall on it you'll compress the foam and it won't work as well the next time. It's just up to your discretion whether or not to replace it. But personally if you've taken a hard fall in it I would think about doing that in the near future. Rather spend a little extra money in the short term than potentially pay a lot in medical bills.

blue eyed pony 08-02-2012 07:15 AM

Yep, agree. I just got a vest the other day... hadn't had one previously, but I'm wanting to get a little more seriously into eventing and if I want to move up the grades any more I have to have one as they are compulsory at 2'7" level and above where I am.

But, I know people who have had fairly minor falls in their XC vests, and kept them, and then had very very nasty injuries from subsequent falls when the same fall with a brand new pristine vest would have prevented most of said injuries.

A vest WILL NOT protect against twisting injuries, or spinal injuries. It also will not protect much against crushing injuries. However, they are BRILLIANT for impact injuries, and abrasions and lacerations.