The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Need to gain weight! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/need-gain-weight-131059/)

Island Horselover 07-16-2012 11:34 AM

Need to gain weight!

Ok, so I have a problem. I am 6' tall and weigh 113lbs. I really would love to get some tips to put some weight on without eating too much. Just for your better understanding, I am riding EVERY day up to 5 hours and sometimes I forget to eat. And as I have a really sensetive stomach I usually eat too much when I come home because I did not eat all day long and then I eat so much at once that my stomach hurts all night long... Kind of a desaster. Really feel that I have to gain some weight, but how do I do that without eating too unhealthy? Any ideas would be appreciated.

kitten_Val 07-16-2012 11:58 AM

Can you take food with you while you ride and eat during a break (like sandwich with cheese and greens or something like that)?

Island Horselover 07-16-2012 12:23 PM

I am doing this most of the time... Just wondering if there is maybe any shakes or something I could drink? I know there are some to loose weight so there must be something like that to gain weight, right???

Icrazyaboutu 07-16-2012 12:28 PM

The main thing that you have to do is eat more calories than you are burning.

Island Horselover 07-16-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icrazyaboutu (Post 1600149)
The main thing that you have to do is eat more calories than you are burning.

Ok, I understand that. So I have to eat A LOT as I am burning really a lot by riding so much... hmmmmm never had problems with my weight before but now it just seems to hard to gain any. Really frustrating...

kitten_Val 07-16-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Horselover (Post 1600143)
I am doing this most of the time... Just wondering if there is maybe any shakes or something I could drink? I know there are some to loose weight so there must be something like that to gain weight, right???

Frankly, I'm not big fan of all those energy drinks and shakes. Smoothies probably would be a good choice though, but I'm not sure how to keep them nice and fresh in a heat. You have to increase the amount of what you eat (and add more things like whole grain breed, pasta, etc.), but I wouldn't recommend to go with junk or snacks to add weight.

P.S. I wish I could eat cakes every day! Haha!

jinxremoving 07-16-2012 12:46 PM

I'm also in the same boat as you, I struggle to gain weight and despite eating a ton of food I have a naturally high metabolism that prevents any real gains. I used to have two protein shakes a day (5,200 calories combined) in addition to my normal eating habits and was only able to put on 10 pounds after a couple months... then I somehow became lactose intolerant almost overnight and had to give up the protein shakes. :(

You could give protein shakes a try but if you have a sensitive stomach than it might not be a pleasant experience. There are "weight gainers" out there with tons of protein and tons of calories, might be worth exploring some of those and see what works best for you.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/gainers.htm

^-- A good starting point. Your local stores might have cheaper products.

Edit:

I would talk to your family Doctor first. You're very underweight, there could be something else going on...

Foxesdontwearbowties 07-16-2012 01:12 PM

I have a lot of health issues and can't eat anything at all unless I'm on medicine, I take a pill, I forget the name will post it later, that increases your appetite. (You have to get a prescription for it) So far I've gained 15 lbs on it in about a month, but I'm still only at 108.

Eat lots of high protein foods, instead of a candy bar eat a protein bar, which taste just as good!

stephshark 07-16-2012 04:16 PM

I agree with Jinx- a good first step would be to consult your doctor- there could be an issue with an under/overactive thyroid, or something more serious. It's probably nothing to worry about, but it never hurts to be on the safe side and check into things. Keep us posted on how you're doing :)

Island Horselover 07-16-2012 07:55 PM

Everything seems to be fine, they were running some blood test and all that stuff and nothing to worry about from that part. BUT - my doc says that I need to gain some weight asap and that I could not go on for much longer like that... so far I am not feel to bad, but I sure feel that I am getting weak and I do not need that when dealing with horses all day long. Anyway, thanks so far for all the advice, I think I will def. try the Smoothy thing and the protein bars... thanks so much guys!