The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Tying the halter to your pants? (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/tying-halter-your-pants-131082/)

SlideStop 07-16-2012 02:45 PM

Tying the halter to your pants?

I was riding in the park the other day and I saw a woman with a rope halter tied to her belt loop. I would assume it's so she has less of a chance of her horse running away if she falls off? Am I right?
Posted via Mobile Device

texasgal 07-16-2012 02:52 PM

I'm visualizing a very .. um .. embarrasing situation if THAT goes wrong.. lol

smrobs 07-16-2012 02:56 PM

LOL, doing that wouldn't be terribly effective, though. I've never really seen many people tie leads to their belt loops, but it is proper to carry the lead section of a mecate set tucked under your belt, mostly so you don't have to untie it from your saddle whenever you get off, but also if your horse is really broke but you still fall, it will sometimes provide enough resistance to make them stop trying to get away.
http://www.ridewithpride.net/images/...ecateReins.jpg

In my experience, having had many belt loops torn off of pants in various situations over the years, it's not enough resistance to stop a horse from running off if you fall. All that would really accomplish is tearing your pants LOL.

SlideStop 07-16-2012 03:00 PM

Lol, yeah I figured a belt loop wouldn't do much. I was thinking more along the lines of having something to grab, idk. That's why I was like why the hell would someone do that?

Lol Texas, I hope this woman wears something she doesn't mind walking down the street in ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

texasgal 07-16-2012 03:04 PM

^^ right? I would imagine a belt loop would tear first .. but you never know!

smrobs 07-16-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlideStop (Post 1600436)
Lol, yeah I figured a belt loop wouldn't do much. I was thinking more along the lines of having something to grab, idk. That's why I was like why the hell would someone do that?

I suppose that makes sense, if she's notorious for dropping her reins while she's riding or something. I've dropped one of a pair of split reins a lot of times and had to stop a horse with just the one rein so that I could either bend down to get the other or get off to pick it up (mostly that happened when I was young and just learning to ride with them on one side LOL).

tinyliny 07-16-2012 03:08 PM

I would never TIE the line , or any line, to my belt loop. but tucking the mecate line under the belt in a way that it will come out unimpeeded is typical.
I am embarrassed to admit that I am so fat in the belly that I dont' wear belts anymore. I have had the experience of my belt catching on the horn when the horse galloped up a hill because my big belly was over the horn when I leaned forward. being caught on the horn is a BAD feeling. So, if i have a meacate, I just tuck it under the waistband of my pants, or tie it to the horn ( a less safe choice, I know).

Iseul 07-16-2012 03:17 PM

Generally, since I'm the only one with a reliable trail mount, I keep a lead (nylon or rope halter under my bridle) run through my actual belt. If I were to come off, she'd most likely shy away and/or trot off, but with the resistance of the lead she'll stop and stand.

With the "get down" rope, I can hop off in a hurry without trying to bring my reins over her head if I need to get to somebody that's on the ground. While she won't lead at my shoulder, she'll stay a safe distance behind me so she doesn't step on anyone or anything.

Though, I'd she were to run off after I fell, the lead wouldn't be tied to anything on me, only drawn through, so I wouldn't be drug very far, if at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 07-16-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1600450)
So, if i have a meacate, I just tuck it under the waistband of my pants, or tie it to the horn ( a less safe choice, I know).

I don't see how tying it to the horn is any less safe. Heck, I do that sometimes too. Other times I coil it up and tie it to my saddle via the saddle strings.

The only problem I've run into is that it takes longer to get it loose when you get off and need it.

boots 07-16-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1600426)
but it is proper to carry the lead section of a mecate set tucked under your belt, mostly so you don't have to untie it from your saddle whenever you get off,

Can save you from a very long walk home. Always my goal.

Amazing that, as fast as falls seems to happen, if you have that mecate tucked under you pant's or chap's belt, you remember to grab it as you go down.

Another good reason: Hubby had a cousin who came off a colt in a funny corner of a large pasture. The corner kind of dipped over a hill into a coulee and wasn't easily visible from the ground.

He didn't come home and they sent a plane looking for him. The pilot and spotter could see the horse standing in the corner and sent a crew to see if the cousin was with him. Saved his life. He'd been laying there for a couple days already hanging onto that mecate.