The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Flipping flaming strangles (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/flipping-flaming-strangles-131084/)

rbarlo32 07-16-2012 04:24 PM

Flipping flaming strangles

None of mine have it thankfully, I knew of one case of it up here and I knew that it was being delt with and managed well because of who the owners are, so I entered a show and was filling out entry forms for another next month as there is very few shows up here and was getting quite excited as I love showing and we have just gotten I fantastic stallion, but today speaking to one of my naighbours I found there are more ponies with it up here because the owner of the herd didn't tell anyone so no-one knows who is carring it ect, so it looks like no shows this year for us :( not very impressed with however the irripossible breeder/owner is.

Lexiie 07-16-2012 04:27 PM

We had boarders who bought a horse from auction
LIED and said it was a gift from their sister

He got my horse sick, my friends horse sick and their two fillies sick.

We thought it was strangles and the vets were out in suits. I was so scared.
Luckily it was just really bad snots

rbarlo32 07-16-2012 04:31 PM

We have decided not to risk it our stallion has been very ill already not really worth the risk.

Lexiie 07-16-2012 04:44 PM

I'd be a little iffy also

Joe4d 07-16-2012 11:19 PM

dont you guys vaccinate against it ? I do

Lexiie 07-16-2012 11:28 PM

I've never seen a strangles vaccination..

Celeste 07-16-2012 11:39 PM

I use the intranasal vaccine rather than the injection. It works better and it is safer. I only give it to the young horses unless they are going a lot of places. The vaccines don't always prevent the disease, but they will make it less severe. Horses can die of strangles, but they usually just get disgusting snots. Sometimes abscesses rupture and drain on their throat. At least in Georgia, one case of strangles will cause your farm to be quarantined for a long time.

rbarlo32 07-17-2012 05:18 AM

We don't vaccinate against it because before this the last time it was on the island was ten years ago so there was no need same with equine flu we don't have that up here also these illness only come up here if you bring something up for the British mainland of arboard which is how it got to britian as we never used to have it there either, Shetland if a relitively diesease free island for all animals, no raibies, no blue tongue, bovine tb ect

Celeste 07-17-2012 10:19 AM

If you don't have it in your area, it may not even be legal to vaccinate because it is a modified live bacteria. You would basically be bringing in a bacteria that you don't have even though it should not make the horses sick.

BlooBabe 07-17-2012 11:10 AM

I would think it would be available as a preventative measure even if it's not common especially if horses are being brought in and out on a regular basis.