The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Maintaing Pasture (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/maintaing-pasture-131085/)

Remy410 07-16-2012 04:35 PM

Maintaing Pasture

I've only had my horses at home since April and I have some questions on keeping up my pastures.

I have 2 horses in a little over an acre paddock while we're fencing off the rest of our property. The paddock is getting rather weedy, especially with bull nettles, and it needs to be mowed. I'm afraid to spray for weeds b/c it's the only turn out I have at the moment, and I don't want to end up accidently poisoning my horses. I don't want to mow then have to rake up the grass clippings over an entire acre. Although I could do it a small section at a time. I also don't want it to get ruined b/c it's not being kept up properly.

Can anyone advise how they maintain their paddocks/pastures?

Cowgirl140ty 07-16-2012 04:52 PM

I always drag once a week and mow once every two weeks. I never rake. I just always drag after i mow. And i have a beautiful pasture
Posted via Mobile Device

COWCHICK77 07-16-2012 04:58 PM

50 Attachment(s)
I had mine done last month.

It is best to spray right after you mow.
I forgot the name of the stuff the guy used, but it wasn't toxic to animals. I was allowed to turn them out right away. But my goat weed and thistle came back.
The spray he was going to use but didn't, they only needed to be off of it for about 4 hours.
I could call and ask if you want the name of stuff.

If you a place close by that sells fertilizer and sprays, I would call and ask them. They can help you pick the right stuff and tell you how to mix it to be the most effective.
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintHorseMares 07-16-2012 04:59 PM

All the herbicides I've seen say they are safe for livestock once it has dried...your feedstore or a store like TSC should be able to recommend.
We just mow the weeds, every week in the spring when they are really growing, as needed otherwise.
Posted via Mobile Device

Remy410 07-16-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowgirl140ty (Post 1600537)
I always drag once a week and mow once every two weeks. I never rake. I just always drag after i mow. And i have a beautiful pasture
Posted via Mobile Device

what do you drag with? Is it a tractor attachment? We don't have a real tractor, just a large John Deere mower..

Joe4d 07-16-2012 07:13 PM

Loyal Drag Harrow, 4 ft. x 8 ft. - 2128634 | Tractor Supply Company

drag with that, it chops up the horse poo, way easier than picking it up. You can pull it with a decent sized riding lawnmower. I have a 20 hp walmart special that does fine. I dont care what the labels say, I wouldnt put my horses on anything I have sprayed for at least a week and preferably after a rain. Just drag it and mow it, dont worry about the weeds. Get your other field fenced before winter or you'll have a mud hole.

Delfina 07-16-2012 07:43 PM

I pull that same drag with an ATV. I have a Polaris 700 as I have to plow snow in the winter with it but my friend has a 200 that pulls the drag just fine unless the weeds are really thick/tangled and then it bogs down and you have to go clean out the drag.

boots 07-16-2012 08:56 PM

I friend of mine uses a few small paddocks of about 4 acres each. He drags them with heavy wood pallets behind a four-wheeler or their smallish tractor. I have another friend whose father in law drags a pallet behind his pick up on the calving ground (because he appreciates a heater at 80 years of age!) Their paddocks and the calving ground look good.

They get them free from businesses who get freight on them.

Cowgirl140ty 07-16-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remy410 (Post 1600579)
what do you drag with? Is it a tractor attachment? We don't have a real tractor, just a large John Deere mower..

We actually use an old chain link gate. Its one of the big ones, about a 6x8. And you put the fence side down, its like a cheese grater to the poop. And it also picks up sticks, twigs, dead grass. Works great. And much cheaper than a drag (especially since we just had it laying around). Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintHorseMares 07-16-2012 10:21 PM

^^^ That is what we use. I've also seen people use bare coiled box spring mattresses ;-)