The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horses Year-Round - Good Places to Live? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horses-year-round-good-places-live-131094/)

Corazon Lock 07-16-2012 06:07 PM

Horses Year-Round - Good Places to Live?

I am looking at relocating sometime in my life to somewhere other than Iowa. I am very tired of long winters and I get depressed in the winter. I am looking for somewhere where there's a lot of sunny weather and where the weather is temperate. I wouldn't mind a winter, per say, but I want to be able to still go outside and do stuff. The winter needs to be shorter and there needs to be a lot less snow! :D Riding always makes me feel better, so that's why I need a lot more warmth than what Iowa offers! I would also like to live somewhere that has a lot of English riding and competitions - it's so hard to find shows and horses up here that cater to English riding. If I could, I would like to have less humidity in the summer as the humidity just kills here. However, I would take humidity over snow anyday :)

Where am I describing? Any ideas of something kind of like this?

COWCHICK77 07-16-2012 06:10 PM

50 Attachment(s)
The California coast...if you can afford it! :)

Cacowgirl 07-16-2012 06:15 PM

Yep, California-all kinds of weather there, many different climates, & LOTS of horses doing all kinds of things. You just have to get a good job & budget the money carefully. Nevada is pretty nice also,depending on where you live-Las Vegas area-pretty bad weather. Reno-much nicer.

Corazon Lock 07-16-2012 06:17 PM

Okay, so maybe you can answer a question about California for me...in northern California, how cold does it get? Because I would love to live in Southern California too...but I'm not sure if there'd be many acreages there and I would like to live on the other side of the San Andreas fault...if there is one in Cali? Lol I visited California a few years back in the winter and absolutely loved it. It doesn't feel "big" to a small-town country girl like me and it's so beautiful...I guess maybe I should look there, huh?

Tianimalz 07-16-2012 06:17 PM

I was born in Ohio and it's forboding winters, when my family and I moved down here to NC it was a horse owners dream :D I love it in Johnston county, every other person around here owns a horse, or boards or is employed with them to some degree, farmers are pleasant and generally do not mind riders using their land as long as we are clean about it, and the weather is generally nice. Summers get hot, but other than that the weather is mid-range. In my 5 years living here, we've never had snow for longer than 2 weeks :lol: Sure, it was cold, but the actual snow just never stuck around. Autumn is the best season for riding, the weather is crisp but not frigid, and the sun offers just enough warmth to keep a T-shirt and jeans super comfortable.

So yup, I love North Carolina and it's weather patterns for the most part, and really enjoy the horse community here as well :)

BBBCrone 07-16-2012 06:26 PM

Florida? I'm not a fan of humidity AT all so during summer, I don't typically care for it. However, if you pick the Florida country life (who knew!) you have a huge horse community, lots of English, lots of ranches and farms.

It *can* get cold in northern Florida ... but for you coming from where you are, I'm betting you wouldn't blink an eye at it. Hubby and I came here from Pennsylvania. During the winter, I think we used our furnace twice ;)

Haileyyy 07-16-2012 06:28 PM

I second North Carolina. The winters are very mild, this past winter we didn't even get snow! I live in Lincoln county, so it's pretty rural over here and there is always "farm" land for sale. In my neighborhood it's made of 10 acre lots, and there are 6 other families that have horses. Neighborhoods like mine are all over here. Plus, cost of living is cheap along with horsey stuff. We came from Long Island though, everything there is expensive so I don't know how it will compare to Iowa.

The only problem(for me) is that it's hot during the summer. The week of the fourth it was 104 for a few days. Unless the heat doesn't bother you it is definitely prime horse-owner territory!

Speed Racer 07-16-2012 06:31 PM

Virginia. Plenty of horse related things to do, and they're primarily English disciplines, especially in the areas around Lexington, Middleburg, and Charlottesville.

I'm in south central, and within an hour and a half of Lexington, and two hours from Charlottesville.

Fairly temperate climate, with mild winters. The summers can be hot and humid, but the temps don't usually go above the low 90s. The farther south you go, the milder the winters.

Corazon Lock 07-16-2012 06:32 PM

It's been super hot here too though! I might as well move somewhere where it's warmer in the winter if the temperatures are about the same in the summer! Lol it was like 100 degrees on the fourth in northern Iowa too. The humidity here is crazy.

The winters...are awful. Except we barely had one this last year. Thank goodness! :)

Corazon Lock 07-16-2012 06:36 PM

Also...I see I have a lot of places to visit this winter! Haha I would love to vacation there before I actually wanted to get up and go, you know? I'm going to community college right now but am going to move out this next year. I'm trying to decide if I want to stay in Iowa so I can be close to the people I know and love (although that's gonna change anyway!), since I have a hard time saying goodbye and leaving, but I also want to go somewhere that's enjoyable. And then there's my horse. And what I want to do with life. Ugh...too many things to think of in the next year.