The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Pine Tar (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/pine-tar-131104/)

Oldhorselady 07-16-2012 06:12 PM

Pine Tar

Does anyone use this stuff on the soles in dry conditions or as a fungicide/antifungal? I have heard to use it and heard it does nothing. We live in the central valley of California with no rain from April to Oct. I do keep an area of grass in the pasture with sprinklers but not sure if that is enough. Farrier comes Friday and I would like to help by the hooves being a little softer.

Oldhorselady 07-18-2012 12:15 PM

Does anyone use this stuff anymore?

deserthorsewoman 07-18-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldhorselady (Post 1603736)
Does anyone use this stuff anymore?

I was told pine tar only makes sense to be appliedright after trimming BEFORE the hoof touches the ground again to keep bacteria out.
As for softening hooves for trimming I found and was told by my long time farrier(old school) to just soak them in plain water for a couple of days before. I did have a standardbred who required soaking for an entire week before trimming....he had feet of steel.......
Posted via Mobile Device

loosie 07-20-2012 03:54 AM

Don't use it, but yes, it does get used as an antifungal. Not sure about how effective it is either.

But I don't get your comment about grass & sprinklers with this regard? Or are you talking about softening their feet? It's great that you're in a dry environment & hooves should be hard! If your farrier's got a problem trimming them because they're so hard, you might want to soak them in water for half an hr or so before the visit... or just tell your farrier to grow some...:shock:

Oldhorselady 07-20-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosie (Post 1606882)
Don't use it, but yes, it does get used as an antifungal. Not sure about how effective it is either.

But I don't get your comment about grass & sprinklers with this regard? Or are you talking about softening their feet? It's great that you're in a dry environment & hooves should be hard! If your farrier's got a problem trimming them because they're so hard, you might want to soak them in water for half an hr or so before the visit... or just tell your farrier to grow some...:shock:

Yea, the grass and sprinklers were referring to softening the feet for the trim. It is very dry...no rain from April to Oct here and the ground is rock hard. It's my percheron's feet that I wanted to soften for the farrier visit. The other farrier that comes out here for the other shires out here asks their owners to soak them in some mud or water before he comes. Not concerned about the light horses, but the drafties can be quite cumbersome with their hooves so dry.

Well, I have been doing the lysol and then slathering the pine tar on afterwards just to see what it would do. I just got my cast off and pins out and still don't have too much strength in my right hand, but at least it's something. Farrier was out yesterday, a day early....he thought it was Friday....so I didn't get to soak them anyway.

eclipseranch 07-20-2012 12:44 PM

I'm with loosie..I don't soak my Belgian for my farrier..yep he has to use a little muscle but is it really that bad? or is the farrier being a bit wimpy? it is dry but....

loosie 07-20-2012 06:26 PM

What's going wrong with your horse's feet if they're thrushy in such a dry environment?

Oldhorselady 07-20-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosie (Post 1607783)
What's going wrong with your horse's feet if they're thrushy in such a dry environment?

I wish I knew loosie.....I have been trying to keep her sound for a year since I adopted her. It's just been trial and error.