The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiropractor care for equines

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  bellagris 
#1 ·
Hey all. I was recently feeling Hunny's spine and she flinched in a few spots. She has never had any kind of chiropractic care, and I am wondering what your opinions on it are.

#2 ·
I use a chiro twice a year, but I find they don't really do much good over a long period of time if you don't keep it up with equine massage. Chiro can adjust the back, neck, hips, whatever, but if the muscles aren't massaged to relax, they will push the bones right back to where they were. Also doesn't do much good if you have other problems further down, the horse is just compensating for being sore some place else and moves to accommodate that. Kind of like you having a pebble in your shoe, sure you can walk & run, but you will accommodate the irritation through your hips & spine. However if the problem of misalignment on your horse was from a trauma, such as a fall, pulling back, etc., then a chiro treatment is exactly what's needed, along with the massage. One without the other is not as effective IMO anyways.

Reactions: Blondehorselover
#6 ·
Try & find a chiro that does both, in fact I believe if a practictioner doesn't do both, I would be looking else where. Here in Canada, this is a certified profession. Also I agree with Joe to a certain extent, get a vet first, but one that specializes in lameness, your ordinary vet will probably not be of much help unless it is something obvious. A lot of times, horses won't be taking lame steps, but something is causing their backs to go out, whether it be a hock lameness, etc.

#10 ·
what ?!

i actually know two human chiros that work on horses too...not that i would ever use them, i prefer someone who is a vet AND a chiro for horses. a regular vet can realign your horse.

#7 ·
i did it once for my QH and now have to do it again 4 years later but i might do it every year. i like it and he does after and is so much better and during well his first and only one he bite my arm and my trainer held him after that but he was in pain so i didnt think about it later when he was better.

#12 ·
Chiropractic adjustments can benefit a horse immensely. My horse sees one as needed.

The chiro will check your horse and watch it track to determine where the horse may need adjustment. Some chiros use a mallet to help get the alignment back, some don't. I've had both done on my horse and didn't notice a difference in my horse from one type of adjustment to another.

When you are palpating your mare's back, make sure you are using enough pressure to get a true reaction and not just irritating your horse. Put one hand lower on her abdomen, almost to the flank. When you hit a truly sore spot or a spot where she is put of alignment, you should feel a muscle spasm.

A general vet may not be trained in chiropractic adjustment. Definitely do your research to find a commendable and efficient chiro.

#13 ·
For once I agree with Joe!!

I use a REMT, a good farrier, a good vet and I learned how to ride in alignment. My massage therapist basically only works on my horses TMJ which is basically gone (he had it from before I bought him) and does therapeutic massage/stretching to keep him from becoming muscle bound. That along with correct riding and a conditioning program keeps him from getting injured in the first place. For 80-90% of horses a chiropractor is not needed, IMO. Abuse/rescues and horses with unbalanced riders and inconsistent work programs are prone to injury and may need outside intervention, but a normal riding horse should not IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

#14 ·
I have never had it either.
Except for myself :D

But I have heard people speak so highly of it, how it has literally saved their horses' lives, and I'm sure any horse could benefit from getting checked out by the chiropractor.

Are you sure that your tack is fitting correctly? Saddle soreness could be an issue. A professional saddle fitter could also be beneficial to you, but I think a chiropractor will probably be able to assess things from a more medical perspective for you.

Good luck!

#15 ·
i agree with saddle fit, thats why gypsy needed chiro. her back traces a medium but she prefers a narrow tree....

i think if your horse needs chiro on a regular basis, something is wrong. but once or twice a year is no biggie.

#16 ·
Well I am thinking that when she was preggers or foaled something could have happened, which, correct me if I am wrong, sounds possible. We have a couple of very good chiros out here. Only 2 that I have had recommended though. I have had 1 masseuse recommended. I will check her again as recommended by placing my hand on her abdomen and then feeling for spasms. As far as saddle fit goes, I have been riding a lot of bareback lately so no saddle lol. Once I get her topline built up a bit more she is going to get fit for a saddle. She responds to me amazingly when we ride bareback though so I almost don't want a saddle.....

#18 ·
Ok perfect! I will look into getting one out later this week. Although since they are so few and far between here they like to do multiple horses at once so it may be a battle to get him out. we will see!

#19 ·
My mare had some bad back/rear end problems that we fought with for more than a year. I when through Chiropractic and Acupuncture (he does both) and since we worked with that she is completely sound. Great results and well worth the money. If he is flinching from rubbing his back he likely needs an adjustment, a solid chiropractor will be able to tell you what is causing it too as long as you can provide detailed information about your tack. training routine etc. goodluck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.