The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Ferret (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/ferret-131130/)

filly20 07-16-2012 10:52 PM

Ferret

Anyone here have ferreets and care to show pictures of them?
I had one a few years back, she died of old age and now I would like to adopt some more. I just bought this cage and bought the bedding last month. What do you think? Do you have any favorate bedding you recomend?
http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/...magejpeg_2.jpg

LadyDreamer 07-17-2012 04:02 AM

How much was that cage? It looks awesome!
Posted via Mobile Device

filly20 07-17-2012 11:29 AM

I baught it from a lady who was selling it for $150, but origional price from a store is about $260.
It's the ferret nation cage

lilkitty90 07-17-2012 12:53 PM

i LOVE my ferret nation cage! unfortuantly i didn't research enough, and bought a male ferret, who completely stunk and turned my parents off from letting me get a female. :( i miss him! he was awesome!

filly20 07-17-2012 01:10 PM

We're they decented? Was the litterbox changed DAILY? What about their bedding? That has to be washed frequently too and their smell sticks.. That sux, I had a sable female. She was amazing and not really stinky

lilkitty90 07-17-2012 01:55 PM

i washed him every 2 days, cleaned his bedding, and box daily. however he never learned to use the box. i spent months working with him on it and instead he would rather just dig out all the litter, and sleep in the box. and poop in the litter pile he made on the ground lol. his biggest issue was that he peed on his head. -_- not to mention he was white, and no amount of bathing got the yellow off his head. i love the guy to bits, i tried to find some photos of him but im not sure where i have the stored. i definitely should have went with a female ferret though.

Gillian 07-17-2012 02:13 PM

Bathing your ferret that often made him stink more. They're not supposed to be bathed that frequently. It depletes the natural oils in their skin which makes them produce more, which makes them stink more. If the bedding is washed weekly and the litterbox cleaned daily there should be almost no smell.

I have 4 ferrets and you'd never know it.
Posted via Mobile Device

lilkitty90 07-17-2012 02:48 PM

maybe thats why. i always always told to bathe them about 2-3 times a week in a natural ferret shampoo. i didn't know it would amke him stink more! i even used sprays on him between bathings.

filly20 07-17-2012 03:06 PM

I think you'r only supposed to wash them 1-3 times yearly, UNLESS they are REALLY dirty. How ture that is I'm not sure. However I just got done washing the cage with bleach. It was COVERED in rat urine. Everyplace you touched, you'd wind up with urin "bluck" now it's nice and clean :)

angelica fernandes 07-25-2012 03:32 AM

Your ferret care activities should include proper diet and nutrition for your pet. Ferrets are obligate carnivores and require a consistent supply of high protein high fat food. This is predominantly obtained from the eating of meat. Feeding your ferret whole prey such as rats, chicks provide the required nutrition that will keep their metabolism at the optimum levels.