The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Pretty proud of my youngster. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/pretty-proud-my-youngster-131147/)

MHFoundation Quarters 07-17-2012 12:40 AM

Pretty proud of my youngster.

Was doing a bit of ground work with Merit, my yearling colt tonight. We do maybe 3 sessions a week. Had my boarder (who is also my doctor and I'm riding a mare for her) watching and Merit was such a very, very good boy, I think he may have been showing off for his audience :wink:

We worked on basic handling, that's an every time we go anywhere thing. He has become a master at matching my pace and not straying an inch from my shoulder aligned with his throat latch. He's pretty funny when we walk like snails, it looks a bit like slo-mo video. He pivots, yields fore/hind, backs with a pinkie finger wiggle worth of pressure.

Then we worked on ground tying. Left him parked in the center of the arena and walked 75 foot away and had a 10 minute conversation while he stood where I left him.

Then we did a few minutes of sacking out. Twirling my rope and smacking the ground while we walked, throwing it on, under, over. We then led with a rope on a front leg (did both). Then my boarder asked if he'd ever seen a saddle (mine was still in the arena from the previous horse) and I said no but we can show it to him. Flung the pad at him for a couple minutes while he stood with a hip cocked so figured why not. Got the saddle, he sniffed it a bit and then wore it without so much as a batted eyelash. Didn't cinch him up or push it farther than that because he did well. Ended on a good note. He got lots of scratches and loves from my boarder. She then told me it's a shame I'm considering selling him. Can't keep them all though :-(

myhorsesonador 07-17-2012 12:48 AM

Yay for good babies!

Aww why do you want to sell him? Isn't he your first grey foal? I was so hopeing to watch him grey out.

BTW this means we need more pics of him soon.

MHFoundation Quarters 07-17-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhorsesonador (Post 1601276)
Aww why do you want to sell him? Isn't he your first grey foal? I was so hopeing to watch him grey out.

BTW this means we need more pics of him soon.

Well, when I bred Lacey the first time I really wanted a filly. Got a colt. She pretty much had exactly what I ordered this time around. Filly with sharp face markings & white legs. He's only casually for sale, I have no intention of giving him away so if he's still around it's not a big deal. My hubby looks at him and sees a nice beach vacation so if he goes, I'm good with that too. My filly is already greying out. I'll get to watch it with her, just a bit longer wait.

I will snap a couple pics tomorrow. He's going through yearling fuglies, fair warning sun bleached grey yearlings - not all that cute.

myhorsesonador 07-17-2012 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHFoundation Quarters (Post 1601315)
Well, when I bred Lacey the first time I really wanted a filly. Got a colt. She pretty much had exactly what I ordered this time around. Filly with sharp face markings & white legs. He's only casually for sale, I have no intention of giving him away so if he's still around it's not a big deal. My hubby looks at him and sees a nice beach vacation so if he goes, I'm good with that too. My filly is already greying out. I'll get to watch it with her, just a bit longer wait.

I will snap a couple pics tomorrow. He's going through yearling fuglies, fair warning sun bleached grey yearlings - not all that cute.

Oh ok, so he has been replaced! PSH and Moms say that she loves use all equaly.

Nah I understand. Is there a thread with pics of the little filly? I missed it!

MHFoundation Quarters 07-17-2012 01:18 AM

Don't make me feel bad...should I ship him to FL? :lol:

Here's the little monster (should get some new ones of her tomorrow too, she's a chunk butt)
http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pict...avy%2A-125090/

myhorsesonador 07-17-2012 01:25 AM

hmm you might have to do that. we woudn't want him to feel unloved. :P

longshot 07-17-2012 02:30 PM

I love it when a young horse validates your training methods.. Just makes you swell up and smile big.. pretty good feeling and congrats!! you deserve the praise!

MHFoundation Quarters 07-17-2012 02:36 PM

Thanks longshot!

MHS - I promise I will get pics, it was pedi day and I was a hot mess by the time we were done, I was ready to retreat to the ac. Glad we didn't do the whole herd today, just the one going to fair with a student and those that I'm working right now, everyone else is waiting until we have an 80 degree day next week lol!