The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Featherlite or other light 2H? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/featherlite-other-light-2h-131150/)

Sharpie 07-16-2012 11:50 PM

Featherlite or other light 2H?

I have a 2011 Tacoma 4.0L V6, factory tow package, list standard towing capacity of 6500lbs. I'm looking for a light weight trailer, hopefully 2500lbs or less dry weight. I might wanna take a friend for a daytrip trail ride or something on occasion, so it's got to be two-horse capable. I like the ones with a dressing/tack room, but I don't know that I can get that and stay light enough on the weight, and I know staying safe towing is more important. I plan on having a brake controller, etc installed before towing anything loaded. NO STEEL! Where I live steel gets rotted out in under 5 years and I don't want to go there.

Any recommendations? I was looking at the featherlite 9401 (as I have heard of featherlites and could find their website), but I don't know a darn thing about trailer brands, so I don't even know what options are out there or what sorta cost I am looking at.

PS: Anyone wanna buy a 6x10 cargo/utility trailer? I need to sell it so I can buy the horse trailer! :P Hauls great, works well as extra tack/hay storage/transport, no issues. Lol!

MyBoyPuck 07-18-2012 08:26 PM

I have a featherlite, and I think it is 2500lbs, so that does fit your criteria. All aluminum trailers are very nice, and apparently hold up well since mine is a 2002 model and still shows no signs of wear. The only other all aluminum brand I know of is Eclipse. They are the no frills version of the featherlite. If you like the 9401, that sounds like a good fit for you.

Sharpie 08-10-2012 11:58 PM

So as much as I wanted to avoid steel, it looks like that's what I may wind up with. I am now considering the Trails West Adventure trailers (empty weight 2600lbs) among others. I was able to sell my cargo trailer (yay!). I looked into the Eclipse- they're aluminum on steel frames, apparently.

Anyone have any experience with the Trails West brand? The CM Dusters are another lighter weight steel model (2350lbs).

MyBoyPuck 08-17-2012 09:20 PM

I had to tow an Eclipse recently. It did pull a bit rougher than my featherlite. I'm definitely a fan of all aluminum, but yeah, there are not a lot of trailers made that way.

KarrotKreek 08-17-2012 10:44 PM

Just an FYI, all aluminum doesn't always mean there isn't steel... a lot of the time the frame under the trailer is steel for extra strength.

Eolith 08-18-2012 05:36 PM

There's an aluminum horse trailer manufacturer called Twi-Lite trailers. I think they're fairly recent but I've browsed through their site and it looks like they have some pretty high quality trailers. Plus, since they don't have the big "brand name" that Featherlite seems to have developed, you may get a bit more for your money.

Twilite Trailers - Manufacturer of Aluminum Horse Trailers & Livestock trailers.

Joe4d 08-18-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarrotKreek (Post 1650115)
Just an FYI, all aluminum doesn't always mean there isn't steel... a lot of the time the frame under the trailer is steel for extra strength.

All aluminum means just that. All aluminum.
There are steel framed aluminum skinned trailes also, but those arnt advertised as all aluuminum, or at least not fraudulently advertised.

Sharpie 08-18-2012 07:58 PM

Often times ads are kinda slick. Ads for all aluminum usually say all aluminum. Ads that just say 'aluminum' have more often than not wound up as being on metal frames. Sadly most of the all-aluminums I've looked at have had a dry weight of over 3200 lbs so far. Twi-lite looks okay, but the closest dealer is in TN, and I'm not willing to buy a brand I've never seen in person.

tim62988 09-01-2012 07:50 AM

I just got an Exiss and love it, i'm sure it's over the limit you want since it's pretty tall.

what I would consider to cut down on weight is maybe look at an aluminum stock trailer with a center divide door. Then when it's just you you can put tack up front and your horse in back. you and friend one horse in each compartment. and when you just need to haul "stuff" you can.

all aluminum or aluminum on steel frame are both nice options. one thing I learned in my trailer search was all aluminum sometimes weigh just as much since they need more material in places to equal the strength of steel. And I would look used, then you can get a nicer quality than an equally priced new.

WickedNag 09-01-2012 08:24 AM

I have a 4star... the quality speaks for itself. Would recommend this trailer to anyone!