The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   Moo-Haven Rescue and Rehabilitation (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/moo-haven-rescue-rehabilitation-131170/)

ShowStopper 07-17-2012 06:01 AM

Moo-Haven Rescue and Rehabilitation

Well it all started in 2007 when we bought Monty. A very handsome 16.1hh grey gelding. He came all the way from Wales and we were very excited to be buying such a handsome chap. Monty settled in very quickly but had a few strange 'quirks' but nothing that made us worry. The winter drew in and Monty had to be rugged as soon as that rug went near him he would squeal and try to kick, when we got the rug on him he would just bite it until it was no good. The spring soon came round and this is when things really went bad, Monty refused to be groomed biting and kicking when you went anywhere near him with a brush. The vet was called out and basically told us we were being too soft with him and we were to get a grip! I got a natural horseman out to Monty (who we now affectionately called Moo) and we did a lot of groundwork with him and he seemed to improve a little but by this time winter was drawing in again so we really only had the weekends to work with him - but it was good. As spring approached once more Moo was worse, we took him to a show and almost killed me and a friend, if a vet had been there I would of had him shot there and then he was just too dangerous.
We got him home and he was the old Moo once again calm and passive - I had no idea where to turn. A few days later Moo pinned me in a shed for 2 hours he would not let me out, now to some this sounds funny but to have a 16.1hh horse striking out if you tried to move was a very intimidating experience. The vet was called once more and after reading about all Moo's qwuirks I had a nagging suspision he was a rig, even though he had castration scars. The vet came again and laughed when I told her my suspisions but I asked her to humour me and do the tests anyway. After two weeks it was confirmed Monty was a rig and he was taken to Newmarket so he could have the best vet in this field look after him. I could talk for hours about what happened but that still wont bring him back. Monty had two testicles and a tumour inside him, he never did come home.
After a few days I got to thinking Monty had been passed from pillar to post, nobody ever kept him. Why did nobody else think to try and find the answer instead of just selling him on? There must be loads of horses with problems or medical issues who dont get the treatment they deserve - why is this? We are supposed to be a nation of animal lovers, so much so that we let animals suffer and sell them so its not our problem. Moo Haven was formed to help such animals, we had only 3 acres but I swore no horse would ever leave once it is with us. I now have fourteen acres dotted around and our herd is growing.

EvilHorseOfDoom 07-17-2012 07:13 AM

2 hours in a shed, that would be rather terrifying, not funny at all! Cripes, he sounds like my boy (who is very possibly a rig but I can't get the blooming test done)...

Was it the tumour that ensured he didn't come home? I know that rigs are significantly more at risk of testicular cancer than geldings and stallions. I really worry about Brock getting it, but my vet couldn't even find a lab to run the test so I'm not sure what to do :-(

ShowStopper 07-17-2012 10:23 AM

yes he had a stomach full of tumors. Unfortunatly after telling the vets to let him go if they found any more tumors they stitched him back up and called for him to be collect. There was an incient in the trailer on the way home and he never made it back to his paddock :cry:.

I would certainly get the vet to get the tests done sooner rather than later.