The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   feed question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/feed-question-13119/)

newhorsemom 08-11-2008 02:07 AM

feed question

I have an 8-year old arabian mare who I board at my mother-in-law's and she gets orchard grass hay and 4-5 hours of pasture turn out daily. This is great and working out well, but I am a little concerned about some senior feed that my MIL is giving her. I think she only gets 1/2-1 cup in the evening but I'm not sure because my MIL tells me that she doesn't give my horse any, but I have caught her 3 times now (I asked her not to feed it).

Is senior feed ok to give a non-senior horse? The amount doesn't seem like much but I don't know if it effects her energy level or not. I know that my horse really doesn't need it, she is not underweight nor is she ridden hard. She is mainly ridden by my 7-year old daughter at a walk and trot for 45 min to an hour, 4-5 times per week.

My MIL is VERY defensive about anybody (especially me) telling her anything regarding horse care that may be different than what she does or what she is used to. I need to pick my battles carefully and I'm really not sure if I should even be concerned about this. I just don't want my horse any more hot than she needs to be. And no, she is not hot now so this is hopefully just a small concern due to my inexperience. (However, I must admit that I find it very irritating that my MIL is not honest and had ignored my request that she not feed it. :x)

minihorse927 08-11-2008 02:12 AM

there is nothing in senior feed to hurt a non senior horse. They are usually higher in protein and higher in fat than basic feeds but if she is giving her just a cup or so a day, you might notice her gain a few pounds but other than that there is nothing to hurt her. Just make sure she doesn't feed her tons of it or she might get fat if she is an easy keeper! I have fed senior feed to foals and hard keepers before because it works great for that too!

Arrow 08-11-2008 02:18 AM

Agreed--she should be o.k.

newhorsemom 08-11-2008 02:23 AM

Thank you, thank you - that was the answer I was hoping for!!!!

I guess I'll just file that under "irritating but harmless" and forget it! :)