The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   What color is our colt?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/what-color-our-colt-131191/)

Elizabeth Bowers 07-17-2012 10:33 AM

What color is our colt??

4 Attachment(s)
My mom and i have been having a debate on what color our yearling colt is. I say he's sorrel with roaning or flecking, and she's saying he's red chestnut. I'm confused on what color he might be so that i can make up ID forms for him in case of a disaster or moving purposes. Thanks!!! :D

TexanFreedom 07-17-2012 10:55 AM

Sorrel and chestnut are the same thing. I would register him as 'chestnut', it's more correct, but that's personal preference. If it's AQHA, I think they accept both. If you are registering him as roan, go with chestnut roan. Please, just for my sake. I can't stand the term red or strawberry roan.

Is the roaning due to something like sabino, maybe? Someone else could help me on this.

Were either of his parents true roan? Do you have pictures of the parents?
Roan is a dominant gene, one parent HAS to have the gene for the offspring to be roan.

MelissaAnn 07-17-2012 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hm, I would say just chestnut. If you are going to describe anything, describe his white markings.

Chestnut/Sorrel are the same color. If you use the word "roan", people will think you are describing a horse that looks like this:

TexanFreedom 07-17-2012 11:16 AM

@ MelissaAnn: roan can be minimal, but that doesn't mean it isn't genetically roan. If it's really a roan, register them as a roan. You don't want to make mistakes on papers.

http://www.selecthorsesale.com/picPicture/1114.jpg
Minimal blue roan

MelissaAnn 07-17-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexanFreedom (Post 1601836)
@ MelissaAnn: roan can be minimal, but that doesn't mean it isn't genetically roan. If it's really a roan, register them as a roan. You don't want to make mistakes on papers.

The OP said she is doing it to make ID tags in case of disaster or moving. Not for papers. If she wants a description so people can find her horse in case of disaster, I think go with Chestnut. Chestnut very commonly has white flecking without the roan gene, but that doesn't matter in this case. :-)

lilkitty90 07-17-2012 11:32 AM

yes. roans can be minimal. but you can still see the roan on the blue roan you posted. IMO he's a chesnut, and only a chesnut. nothing special. but he certainly shiny and healthy looking! most red horses get white ticking throughout their coat, but yours looks like it has a very minmal expression of sabino.

Elizabeth Bowers 07-17-2012 12:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
His mother is a true chestnut (she reminds me of ginger off of Black Beauty, and yes thats her name too) I'll post a pic of her. She has some white flecking also and little "bend or" spots some no bigger than a dime. She was a rescue my father in law bought off of some girl she couldn't keep her anymore, she stands barely 14hh she's QH X PF. His sire is a flea bitten grey PF stallion who was starting to get very white in his young age, sorry i don't have any pics of him. He looked almost roan to me when i first saw him, had a lot of black flecking on him. From what i know of him he was just turning 6, and maybe more color was coming out on him.

Elizabeth Bowers 07-17-2012 01:02 PM

I do my best to take care of them, it gets difficult with my herd running with my in-laws horses (whom don't get the care and attention they need). Sorry if this pic isn't too good of him momma, she was still in her winter rags at the time, she takes forever to shed out. Thank everyone!!! Hope this helps!!! :-)

myhorsesonador 07-17-2012 01:07 PM

The white hairs or "roaning" is called rabicano

lilkitty90 07-17-2012 01:11 PM

Yes white ticking comes with Robicano, but this horse doesn't have rabicano. you can tell his ticking is from Sabino because of how his blaze looks like its bleeding out into the brown fur.

he also doesn't have the white tuft on top of his tail like rabicano does. and his ticking seems to be on his rump, and not his barrel where rabicano ticking is located. i stand by my statement that his ticking is from sabino.