The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Equine Massage Therapy (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/equine-massage-therapy-131205/)

BarrelWannabe 07-17-2012 12:12 PM

Equine Massage Therapy

I'm thinking about becoming an Equine Massage Therapist in the future as a second career, and I wanted to know what everyone thinks of it.

Do you, as a horse owner, think it is a valuable career?
If your horse were in discomfort or pain, would you call upon an EMT to relieve and correct the problem? I understand that the veterinarian would be consulted first, but if that were an option given by the vet, would you be interested?

Also, if an EMT were a licensed Massage Therapist, would you choose them over someone who wasn't licensed even if they were equal in skill?

Horseboy 07-17-2012 01:00 PM

I use a EMT for my horses once a month and they love it and I have seen a change in them, they where not hurt but I think it helps with "maintenance". She is the best! I also took a week course on EMT so I use some of the stokes in between her coming

SEAmom 07-17-2012 01:04 PM

I used one for mine when he was showing stiffness and discomfort while in a particularly demanding period of training. I do think it helped him with some of the stiffness he was experiencing, and by the end of the third round he had no more knots. I'd like to learn more about it myself. I have the masterson method book, but I'm much more a hands on type of person for that stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelWannabe 07-17-2012 03:50 PM

What do you guys look for in an individual that you would continue using after the intial appointment?
Like professionalism, willing to adjust to your schedule, etc., etc.

Horseboy 07-18-2012 11:16 AM

Well I look for someone that is willing to talk to me about what he/she has found after working on my horses. I look for cost and I also look at how my horses are reacting to the treatment