The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   diagonals and figure 8s (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/diagonals-figure-8s-13129/)

Kirsti Arndt 08-11-2008 09:14 AM

diagonals and figure 8s

i am doing much better, finally got the rising trot on time and correct diagonal=now i need more help with timing-when i do the figure 8 -at the center of the 8 is where i sit 2 beats then rise again to change diagonal? or do i have the timing changed before that point? it really is harder than it looks, for me anyways.
I had 2 =2.5 hour lessons-this weekend one on a ottb then one on Sonny-whoeee i am tired this morning but am making progress!

claireauriga 08-11-2008 09:33 AM

I've always been told to change diagonal on the centreline.

Kyani 08-11-2008 11:43 AM

For years and years I was always taught to change the diagonal as I passed over the centre line. I recently started dressage lessons at a new barn and was taught to change as you came back onto the track after completing your change of rein, and to also change your stick/whip over at this point. She explained that you don't NEED to change diagonal any earlier and it could possibly mess up your nice straight line accross the diagonal. I think it's mostly personal preference (don't know if dressage judges would prefer one over the other, but I should think you're safe so long as you're not on the WRONG doagonal, logically) but the way she explained it does make sense.

kickshaw 08-11-2008 12:32 PM

i believe it has to do with the discipline

in saddleseat, you always change at the center...for what it's worth ;)

upnover 08-11-2008 12:45 PM

I've always known it as, you change diagonals when you start your new direction/bend so right in the middle. But I'm sure there are different reasons and times when you would do it differently.

Kirsti Arndt 08-12-2008 09:00 AM

thank you that helps

Jrchloe 10-06-2008 11:56 PM

You might want to check out the book 101 Showmanship and Equitation Patterns by Cherry Hill. It explains so much and has great picture diagrams.