The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Favorite color, or maybe not? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/favorite-color-maybe-not-131291/)

Ladybug2001 07-18-2012 12:03 AM

Favorite color, or maybe not?

I know many of us proclaim to have a favorite color of horse, though is it really our favorite?

I always say I love grullas, but if that is so, why are all of my horses sorrel?

So I question you, what is your favorite color, but yet again, what is the main color of your horses? :D Feel free to comment with the differences or likes?

I think this will be fun to see if we stay true to our favorite colors. Maybe after you look into it, you will see your true favorite color? I know I never thought about it until a friend commented on a picture saying I sure do like my sorrels... No, I hate the color sorrel.. or maybe not.

Roperchick 07-18-2012 12:07 AM

I like the color of horse that stays clean so im not grooming them for 30 minutes just to clear enough space for my saddle and bridle **cough**Charlie**cough**

but when i was little i ALWAYS ALWAYS wanted a pali...and i got it....sorta....when he wants to be clean....which is never.

smrobs 07-18-2012 12:34 AM

I don't really have a "favorite" color per say, though I have always had a soft spot for blacks and it's my dream to own a super nice blue roan.

However, there is one color that I can honestly say that I hate with the white-hot heat of a thousand suns and that color is gray.

The color of my main and most favoritest horse in the world?

Yep, that's right, gray :lol:. Though in all honesty, when I bought him, it was with the sole purpose of "put some training on him and then sell for a quick buck". It was his personality that changed those plans. He's been my loyal and trustworthy partner for over 7 years now and I wouldn't trade him for all the money in the world.

Still hate his color though :wink:.

Ladybug2001 07-18-2012 12:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Lmao... I say I hate sorrel horses because they are so common. xD I need he color genie to come and change my horses to a type of roan or grulla.

Attachment 106957

BarrelBunny 07-18-2012 12:59 AM

My favorite color would have to be a buckskin or a dun... Although, I ALWAYS end up with chestnuts or sorrels and occasionally a bay. The only problem with that is, I think that they are so PLAIN! So, when it comes down to it, I think that I like ANY color, except a chestnut or sorrel. (Although, I am not complaining, because I love my horses very much and never want to see them go.)

meghanlovee11 07-18-2012 01:32 AM

i always LOVE seeing beautiful buckskins. or palominos or cremellos. i think they are beautiful. i like flashy paints. BUTTTT .
all of them are hard to clean. they all seem to be the ones that love to roll. it would be a pain for me to always have to clean the white on paints.
i love making horses shiny. i could do it all day. so naturally i like dark bays .
i have a sorrel horse though haha. hes reeallyy red though.& he stays shiny & i dont really have to do anything haha. i wouldnt trade him for anything. hes not all that flashy but hes mine.

Country Woman 07-18-2012 01:53 AM

I love Chestnuts and Black horses

OwnedByAlli 07-18-2012 03:11 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I love blacks and funky pintos, but Alli is dark bay (mebs brown, cant decide haha). Then again she just kind of fell into my care, so I didn't get a choice what colour she came in... I supose I can choose between dark bay and brown...

I'm not so keen on plain old bright bays, probs cz theres loads round here. Nice horses, just want something that stands out :lol:

Here's Alli, dark bay or brown?
(Winter
Shedding
Summer)

HorseLovinLady 07-18-2012 03:46 AM

Palomino is my favorite color, but most of my equine friends are chestnut/sorrel.

joachim 07-18-2012 05:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
@Ladybug2001,

that is a really good question you’re coming up with. When I was looking for my first horse I had the idea to do it the way than to look for a new Mustang. Chose color, engine, tranny and so on. But during the search, I was looking for a bay Appaloosa with snowflakes, I came to the clue that the color doesn’t matter. I found some ‘nice looking’ horses with an ******* character. So I dropped the color thing and re-formulated the search criteria.

I found Pretty Kohilent from Pretty Horse Farm near North Sea Shore. Although he was three he had and still has the perfect character. I do know he is chestnut…… not buckskin. But I do not care. He is a thoroughbred quarter with Wieskamp background, nerves like steel and a super smooth jog. And that is what is counting when you’re horseback.

To cut this short, horses color doen’t matter, you do not ride a color.