The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangles

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  rbarlo32 
#1 ·
Is it possible that in a strangles case that the lumps occur before any other symptoms?

#2 ·
It may be possible. Also, your horse could have a snotty nose, but when they eat/graze it may get rubbed off so you aren't seeing it... A cough is common also... I honestly didn't know my horse had it 2 years ago until I felt the lump. He hadn't gotten a runny nose or started coughing yet, but he was very lethargic and was laying down a lot and moving a lot slower than he usually would. IT's a very scary thing. I'd have the vet out if I were you. Whether to medicate or not is very contricted even among vets. One vet told me to treat with penicilin, another told me to just wait it out and clean my barn with cleach everyday until the sickness had run its course... Call your vet.

#3 ·
Had the vet out today he had no idea what the lump is, bet he said to watch out for the other symptoms but just entertaining the idea that my special little guy could have something that could kill him and the rest of my ponies is simply unfathamuble and terrifying

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.