The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Member Journals (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/)
-   -   Gaining Trust With Flap Jack (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/gaining-trust-flap-jack-131321/)

lucky2008 07-18-2012 10:12 AM

Gaining Trust With Flap Jack

3 Attachment(s)
If you follow this thread you will get to watch Flap Jack being trained. I just bought Flap Jack on July 14th and he is a cremello/perlino grade 14hh pony. He has an awesome mane and tail that I hope will stay long and get longer! I was told that he bought from a kill pen at one point and has had some not so great owners.
Attachment 106984
Attachment 106985

A lady had owned him for a while then lost her job in June so sold him to my old barn owners boyfriend. He worked with him 3 times and the first time with a saddle only on his back didnt go so well (Bucked and almost kicked the guy). He then left the BO and all of his stuff and she couldnt afford him so sold him to me.

Day 1
Walked him around and then I tryed picking up his feet.
BO sprayed him with fly spray and he was afraid

Day 2
Walked him around
Put saddle pad on him and made it fall off of him (over side, butt, and head)
Fly sprayed him and he did awesome

Day 3
Gave him a bath, and then he rolled and got more dirty than he was before :evil:

Day 4
Put a saddle pad on him and then my saddle and then I slowly did the cinch on the saddle and he took it like a champ. I was almost wondering if he was already broke :lol:. I tried getting him to trot or walk on the lounge line but he didnt want to, I think im gonna need a wip.

Somehow he must of learned that if he step on his lead rope he has to step off of it and not freak out.
Attachment 106987

If you want to know how he got his name (I chose it). His bottom lip you can make it flap and play with it and he doesnt care. So I was thinking flappy but flap jack came to mind. His original names were dusk and sarco.

barrelbeginner 07-18-2012 10:47 AM

subbing:) OMG he is gorgeous! your gonna have one good horse:)

lucky2008 07-18-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrelbeginner (Post 1603587)
subbing:) OMG he is gorgeous! your gonna have one good horse:)

Thank you and I hope so!!! He is a super calm horse too
Posted via Mobile Device

barrelbeginner 07-18-2012 11:08 AM

how old is he? what do you plan on doing with him? good luck:)!

lucky2008 07-18-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrelbeginner (Post 1603636)
how old is he? what do you plan on doing with him? good luck:)!

4 years old and trail and possibly games (depending on how much speed he has)
Posted via Mobile Device

lucky2008 07-22-2012 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a video and picture of me working with him today!

I wanted to get on him since he was doing great but he was afraid of the wooden step

lucky2008 07-23-2012 09:05 PM

So i got bucked off today I will get into more detail later but my ankle/leg hurts pretty badly. He was doing so good and then he decided to buck! My friend kinda got ran over too. I wish I had someone video taping it, my friend even thought it was fun!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Cacowgirl 07-24-2012 07:40 AM

I would go back to square one w/him. He needs to have respect for humans. I thnik you 're pushing way too fast for this young of a horse. Please be careful.

Malice 07-24-2012 07:57 AM

Cute looking little horse, can't tell for sure but your saddle may be a tad to far forward, but it could just be his positioning. I agree that our pushing him way to fast, I don't touch my new horses for at least 3 days to let them settle, that the next wedkp getting to know each other, not working on new stuff. How much experience do you have with horses, especially training wise?

EvilHorseOfDoom 07-24-2012 08:04 AM

^^ This. I would be working on getting his ground manners in order before you start thinking about getting on. Lots and lots of groundwork. Teach him to yield, back up, step away from you etc. There are some good threads on here covering groundwork exercises for disrespectful horses. Bucking can be caused by a number of things but running over someone is plain lack of respect. He wouldn't do it to the alpha horse.

Calm is great but respect is crucial. Respect will earn trust - he'll see you as leader and protector, and that will make him less spooky.
Posted via Mobile Device