The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rodeo (http://www.horseforum.com/rodeo/)
-   -   What are some good rodeo/western movies? (http://www.horseforum.com/rodeo/what-some-good-rodeo-western-movies-131350/)

Blondehorselover 07-18-2012 01:59 PM

What are some good rodeo/western movies?

I know of The Cowboy Way, Cowboy Up, and 8 Seconds. Any other good ones you'd recommend?

Speed Racer 07-18-2012 02:05 PM

You could always go with some of the classics.

The Lusty Men
Arena
The Rounders
J.W. Coop
Junior Bonner
Everything That Rises

AQHA13 07-18-2012 02:12 PM

Gunsmoke is my favorite! :)
Rustlers Rhapsody is very funny
Rio Bravo
I've seen a million westerns, I just can't think of the names...

smrobs 07-18-2012 02:40 PM

Lonesome Dove (I think there are 5 movies; Dead man's walk, Comanche moon, Lonesome dove, Return to Lonesome dove, and Streets of Laredo). That series is a must see for everyone.

I'm a huge fan of Robert Duvall westerns; Broken Trail, Open Range, and he also did Lonesome Dove. Random Factoid: when he is bucked off the horse in that movie after the indians shoot at the horse, that was not scripted or planned and it was actually him that got bucked off.

I generally go more for certain actors too. Pretty much any western with Sam Elliott or Tom Selleck are going to be good.

Also, a lot of movies that have been made from Louis L'Amour books are usually good. Some are a bit cheesy, but still enjoyable.
Louis L'Amour - IMDb

Tombstone is an absolute must see. IMHO, it is one of the best western movies ever made.

ETA: Oh, dear. How could I forget John Wayne? He's not among my favorite actors, but I still enjoy a great many of his movies and most of them were westerns.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000078/

ETA, again: I almost forgot about a not so well known movie called The Rounders starring Glenn Ford and Henry Fonda.

bsms 07-18-2012 04:00 PM

For series, I prefer The Virginian and Rawhide. They had plenty of marginal episodes, but they had some pretty goods ones as well.

For movies...

John Wayne: Stagecoach, Angel & the Badman, Fort Apache, The Searchers, True Grit, The Cowboys. I underlined my favorites.

Others: High Noon (almost no riding scenes, tho), Tombstone, most anything with Tom Selleck...

Never watched Lonesome Dove, but I may give it a try.

I find I always watch the riding in westerns. Some actors were pretty good, but as a general rule of thumb? If you can see the actor's face, try not to watch the riding. If all you can see is someone dressed like the star riding, then it was probably a stunt man or wrangler who knew his stuff. The style of riding done by the wranglers in 50s movies seem to match the pictures I've seen of cowboys from the late 1800s pretty well. From a 2012 perspective, it is interesting to see name actors charging their horses over rough terrain...I can imagine what the lawyers would tell the director now!

By the mid-60s, most westerns were made to have no heroes, no grand themes...only 'realism' and the idea that nothing matters. Tom Selleck is one of the few modern actors I trust to be in films where there IS a good guy.

Horse racer 09-08-2012 05:54 PM

Don't know much about rodeo movies, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE western movies. Basically any Louis L'amour movie is great like y'all said before. My two favorites are "Crossfire Trails" and "The Quick and the Dead"

Most John Wayne movies are great. I mostly like westerns I that have a lot of gun fighting. "Sons of Katie Elder" is good, I sorta liked "Hondo" but it was too love sappy for me. "War Wagon" is good. "True Grit" and "Rooster Cogburn" are great. I could go on and on.....haha

But you HAVE to see "Crossfire Trails" it is my personal favorite. The scene at the beginning where they're riding takes my breathe away it's beautiful. And there is quite a bit of gun fighting. It really highlights the 1876 carbine, which is an awesome gun! "The Quick and the Dead" is anouther one you HAVE to see like I said above they're my favorite.

boots 09-09-2012 09:39 AM

"Westward the Women" with Robert Taylor

"Good Old Boys" with Tommy Lee Jones

"Comes a Horseman" with Richard Farnsworth

These are more ranching type. And "Comes a Horseman" has some great roping in it. James Caan roped competitively besides acting. Robert Taylor had a ranch south of me for a long time and was handy. Tommy Lee Jones was playing polo when "Good Old Boys" came out. Kind of improves the movies when the actors are actually horsemen, to me.

smrobs 09-09-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boots (Post 1676899)
Kind of improves the movies when the actors are actually horsemen, to me.

Oh, I know!!! I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks that way. I mean, I understand that not every actor can be a good horseman too, but there is nothing in this world that will turn me off to a movie faster than watching a "cowboy" flopping around up there like a sack of rotten potatoes with limp noodles for arms and legs. That's one thing I always liked about Robert Duvall. He can ride a horse and handle one well. Plus, it doesn't hurt that he usually gets a good one in almost all his movies.

Oh, another I just thought of. Dances with Wolves with Kevin Costner. I cry every time I watch it and it pisses me off to no end, but I still love it.

CLaPorte432 09-09-2012 10:10 PM

Second Chances is one of my favorite movies.

TimberRidgeRanch 09-09-2012 10:12 PM

I am surprised that no one mentioned 8 SECONDS as a rodeo western movie.

I also like : A HORSE FOR DANNY any John Wayne Movie
another Rodeo movie is SECOND CHANCES