The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Blue roan appy (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/blue-roan-appy-131403/)

SlideStop 07-18-2012 07:27 PM

Blue roan appy

A friend of mine wants to go look at this horse, he is pretty far 8-10 hours away. She wants a bomb proof trail horse but I think she can get more bang for the buck. He just looks... Ugly. His front feet aren't under his knees. Looks sway back and for some reason he just appears old to me.

Does it look like he is swaybacked?
Any other major things wrong?
Posted via Mobile Device

SlideStop 07-18-2012 07:28 PM

BLUE ROAN APPY GELDING THERAPEUTIC RIDING HORSE

There is the link, sorry!
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 07-18-2012 07:36 PM

I know that appys can appear older then they are and i do see the slight sway back but i would ask for pictures with a colored back ground because the white trailer makes it really hard to distinguish the actually back. He looks like he has a kind eye and sounds like a good little horse and if your friend likes him and he suits her i would juat encourage her to get a vet check but some of the ugliest horses turn out to be the best mounts you'll ever find.
Posted via Mobile Device

texasgal 07-18-2012 07:38 PM

I don't think he's ugly .... at all.

BarrelracingArabian 07-18-2012 07:45 PM

I agree i find him sort of cute but appys aren't for everyone haha.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dead Rabbit 07-18-2012 07:55 PM

IMO....feet aint the best, but hes quite the looker....for an appy. which ive always been partial to

texasgal 07-18-2012 07:56 PM

"for an appy" *slap* lol

cakemom 07-18-2012 08:02 PM

I'm not an appy find and I see something very appealing in this fella.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 07-18-2012 08:05 PM

Usually if a horse is a candidate for therapeutic riding, he has either hoof or lung issues. He's a little rump high and rather chubby. Don't let her write the cheque without a vet check and be sure it's not the seller's vet.

tinyliny 07-18-2012 08:13 PM

I don't see a sway back at all. his head is up on both photos, so back will be more down. He is under muscled, but his overal conformation is actually good. Feet need to be trimmed and maybe have farrier work the hoof back so he has a bit more heel. Mac (the appy I lease) is the same way ; heel is low and hoof angle flat. He is, however, extremely hardy.
I actually think that that horse, muscled up and grooomed, will be rather pretty.

I will admit that his neck is a bit short and thick. kind of ponyish.