The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Torn Tendon - Need some sympathy from horse people! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/torn-tendon-need-some-sympathy-horse-131464/)

wild_spot 07-19-2012 04:49 AM

Torn Tendon - Need some sympathy from horse people!

I am currently thousands of KM away from home working on a cattle station and I just got the news that my 16yo gelding has torn a tendon in his back leg and will need minimum 4 months rest, and will likely have to be retired to trail riding only. This is all I know currently, i'm waiting for more details from my cousin who is a vet tech and was there when the ultrasound was done.

I'm just devastated. This horse is my heart horse, i've had him 11 years now and this is only the second time he has ever been hurt, and i'm not there to look after him.

Has anyone rehabbed a tendon injury in the back leg? What are the chances of him returning to full soundness at his age? How labour intensive is it? (Im going to have to rely on my family and friends to care for him for me, which they will do, and I love them for it).

This has just floored me and I guess i'm just after some commiseration from other horsey people who understand!

wild_spot 07-19-2012 05:16 AM

Okay cousin thinks it is the superficial flexor tendon, and the rest period is a minimum 6 months.

wetrain17 07-19-2012 10:38 AM

This will be a long road for you. No one can say if he will be 100% after 6 months (would never hurt to go a little longer). Just be patient and go slow on rehab. The hardest part will be keeping him calm so he doesnt stress the tendon. Look into calming supps, last thing you will need is him spinning around on it.

Speed Racer 07-19-2012 10:44 AM

Wild spot, my sympathies. I've yet to experience a horse with a torn tendon, but I have friends who have.

Your boy is unlikely ever to come back enough to do more than trail riding, unfortunately. No jumping, no running barrels, no speed events. I know you'd never do anything to harm him or make him break down completely, so I have no worries that you'll go against the vet's recommendations.

As wetrain stated, it's going to be a long, arduous, frustrating road for both you and your horse. As he's your heart horse, I know you'll adjust to his limited abilities and love him no matter what.

Good luck. It well and truly stinks, but at least he's still with you and should be for many more years to come. :D

Hunter65 07-19-2012 10:46 AM

Oh so sorry to hear this. My neighbor had her horse do the same thing. He is 22 and will need a year off. If he will ever be sound again they don't know.

BIG HUGS to you and I hope your horse heals.

equiniphile 07-19-2012 11:01 AM

I'm so sorry, wild_spot. I have no personal experience with tendon injuries, but friends who have have told me it's a long road to recovery. Hang in there!

wild_spot 07-19-2012 05:10 PM

Thanks guys. He will have as long off as he needs, he is never going anywhere and if he is only a pasture puff then that is ok.

The hardest part is not being there to help him. I have been reading up and there are a fe things I want to do to help him but they are labour intensive and I don't think it's fair to ask other people to be visiting him twice a day or more. I wonder if I can advertise for someone to go ut twice a day if I pay them.

We don't have any stalls, and he is currently in a paddock with four other horses which is definitely not ideal. The best we have is a yard with a run in shed attached. My preference would be to have him in there for a few months to limit his movement, but then he will need to be fed twice a day and eventually start to be hand walked. I also want to get him some back on track quick wraps to wear at night to help the circulation to the area and control the swelling, plus it is the middle of winter so it is freezing at night. But again they will need to be put on every night and taken off every morning. I don't get home until the beginning of November.

thesilverspear 07-19-2012 06:02 PM

What a bummer. :-( Never had to deal with it myself but I've known a few people who have. Like Speed Racer said, if they come back to being rideable at all, it is only for light work. A couple suspensory horses I knew were given away to be pets, as they had very friendly, lovable temperaments and there are a surprising number of people out there who like having horses but don't ride. There's one at my barn now who has been declared unrideable by the vet, but he's huge, obnoxious, and has a nasty streak if you're not strict with him and on your toes. Not something that's really marketable as a pet. Ugh. I feel for his owner.

It sounds as if you can keep yours at home, though, so at least you don't have the dilemma of paying livery for a horse you might not ever be able to ride.

COWCHICK77 07-19-2012 06:07 PM

My sympathies Wild Spot! I hope he makes a full recovery.

Off Topic...So jealous you are on a station working...lucky!

wild_spot 07-19-2012 07:25 PM

He actually lives where my dad works free of charge which is lucky, but when my dad retires I will have to pay agistment for him somewhere unless I've bought my own place. But that doesn't matter, we made a comittment years ago that he would have a home with us for life, we could have sold him ten ones over and I lend him to people but he will never be sold.

Also OT - thanks cowchick! As I type we are waiting for the chopper to start the days muster :)
Posted via Mobile Device