The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Rant....why are some horse people SOOOO STUPID?!?!?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/rant-why-some-horse-people-soooo-13149/)

SonnyWimps 08-11-2008 05:57 PM

Rant....why are some horse people SOOOO STUPID?!?!?!

Okay, I've been talking with the girls at the old barn and they've been letting me know how things are doing at the stables and how some of my favorite horses are doing.

A little background history of the BO: She's an older lady...probably 65ish who has been having some financial problems for a while. She's always been a nervous rider and would only ride the good bombproof horses (she was too afraid to even go in a stall with Sonny...let alone ride him....now does my Sonny seem like a bad horse? I sure hope not lol).

Okay, well I found out that three days or so after I left that she bought a green broke QH mare, whom they named Jess. I thought that was a stupid thing to do, but I guess the BO bought her for a student since she was selling off her favorite horse.

But then I found out that she bought 3 MORE horses....2 of which are NOT EVEN STARTED! And to make matters worse in my opinion, she wants the girls (age 13,14,15,17...but the 17 is hardly ever there) to train them so she can sell them for more money than what she paid for them.

I was just talking with one of the girls and she was saying that Gunner, the one horse that was not started, kicked one girl in the FACE, and the BO in the leg, shoulder, and stomach because the girl tried to mount him and he spooked. Now first off, just hopping on a horse that isn't started is NOT the way to break a horse....but to put a girl on the horse that hasn't done any groundwork with the horse and a new person to the horse is another bad idea.

When I tried explaining to the girl I was talking to that the girl that got kicked could have been KILLED, she said it did not matter because she didn't get killed and that she was fine. To me, it does matter....yes, she didn't get killed, but it could and probably will happen again because they kids don't know HOW to start a horse, let alone the importance not to direct rein in a HIGH ported western bit.

Then the girl asked why I was so against the BO having them train the horses, I explained simply that I thought she was taking advantage of them...to have someone else train them for free and then sell them for money.
We talked for a little while longer on stuff (well more like debated), she got upset, said "well w/e" and logged off.

ARGGG I just can't stand how stupid some horse people can be so ignortant of what is dangerous and what isn't. I mean any person thinking would see the danger in having young girls that know NOTHING on breaking a horse, having to train, break, and sell a horse for the BO.
Some young girls are ready to break their horse because they have had experience, and know the importance of taking it slow.

Sorry I guess I jsut needed to blow off some air.

I'm just soooo thankful that I am out of there. Being with people that actually know how to take care of a horse, and actually care about the horses and not just having "fun" is sooo much better than hanging around the girls at the old stables that just wanted to have fun even if that meant jumpign infront of a train.[/u]

SonnyWimps 08-11-2008 05:58 PM

ice cream cake for those that read the long thing.....
and for those that don't want dessert....free dinner at Red Robin!

Gingerrrrr 08-11-2008 06:12 PM

good god :shock:

horsey*kisses 08-11-2008 07:06 PM

lol ginger u made me laugh but that was my thought exactaly, minus a few ranting words that i would get kicked off for
you are right though that is dangerous and stupid, some people just think they can do what ever with a horse and it will all be good,
that girl that got kicked in the face...is she ok! :shock: i mean of course she said she was ok but did you see her face? omg i got kicked in the shin and i thought THAT hurt...of course it was a steer but i still got kicked...that was a big steer... :lol:

SonnyWimps 08-11-2008 07:12 PM

I haven't seen her....nor was I there. I moved about 2 weeks ago from that stables and don't plan on going back ever again.
From what i've heard she' is fine, but I'm sure she broke a nose or at least will have a horrible headache for a while.
I do hope she's okay though.
Though I have to admit when the girl told me that the BO got kicked I kinda laughed cause she had it coming....she should've known better

LadyDreamer 08-11-2008 08:04 PM

Well, I don't try to delve into the going ons of other barns, so honestly I would tell them. "Whatever. Get yourselves hurt, just remember that no one is going to want a horse ruined by a bunch of kids who don't know what they are doing, and when the horses are sold for being too dangerous, they have a one way ticket across the border. Have fun! See ya! Do what you want with your horses, it is none of my business." And then walk away and don't bat an eye when they come up and tell you "OMG like this horse totally broke my ribs." "Hmm, that's nice...."

SonnyWimps 08-11-2008 11:28 PM

I am trying my best to not really keep too close on contact with the old barn owner if any. The one girl at the barn which I considered a fairly good friend of mine has been really distant lately and I suspect that the barn owner has been blackening my name with lies....just like she tried to do with the girls at the barn but I'd tell her off.

Sadly the old barn owner is the type of person that talks behind someone's back and tries to get everyone to dislike that person. Thankfully I still have at least one 'friend' there. The one I haven't talked to since a little after I left, but she seemed to agree with me that the old barn owner's buying a new horse (before I knew she was getting 3 and before she actually made plans on it) was totally stupid and ridiculous on her part since she claimed that she was so hard up on money.
But like I said, I haven't talked to that girl in a while, so I have no idea if she is mad at me or something of that sorts.

The thing that really bugs me is that since I left the BO and even the girls (well most of them) believes that I left because of that one lesson I had where the BO made me get off the horse because he was acting up. Now I don't see how they, especially the BO of all people, to find me so prideful as to leave just because our views didn't match on me getting off the horse or not....surely that's a stupid reason just to pack up and leave.
Evidently she is either ignoring the fact, or wishing not to admit it, that she has been treating me along with the other girls so poorly. Surely I can see no reason how she wouldn't at least realize how she is/was treating us. I think only an idiot could not realize it. Yelling and swearing at "costumers" (of sorts) is not something that one should do....especially one that needs those costumers to get a living from.

I am sure I will hear some bad stuff within the next two weeks....surely the one girl will tell the BO what I said to her, but I'm done pretending I left the stables simply because I thought she was going to sell the place or have to declare bankruptcy. If the BO fails to realize or doesn't think that she's treating clients badly, then I feel that I should tell her...possibly to make her aware of what she is doing, know that one person is upset about it and left because of her temper, foulness, and just unpleasant attitude.
The gossip she would say to me when I'd go up to ride by myself about the riding girls were totally uncalled for, and I wish, though I did stick up for them, that I would have done so more to make her realize that she is expecting too much from the young girls and that they aren't as bad as she pretends they are.

I give kudos though to the girls that are still there, being able to tolerate her. I know I was about to go insane, and I'm sure if I was yelled at any more that I would have snapped right then and there.

Probably another long message, but I am utterly upset on the matter since I can not see how anyone in their right mind would not realize the danger of putting young girls, especially ones that don't know what htey are doing, on unstarted horses and expecting them to train the horse.

Quote:

Well, I don't try to delve into the going ons of other barns, so honestly I would tell them. "Whatever. Get yourselves hurt, just remember that no one is going to want a horse ruined by a bunch of kids who don't know what they are doing, and when the horses are sold for being too dangerous, they have a one way ticket across the border. Have fun! See ya! Do what you want with your horses, it is none of my business." And then walk away and don't bat an eye when they come up and tell you "OMG like this horse totally broke my ribs." "Hmm, that's nice...."
Normally I don't either, but since I've ridden at that stables for a while and became really attached to the horses I like to just check in to see how my favorite horses are doing. That's all I inquire about...the rest they tell me freely.

Oh I definately will have the "I told you so" attitude if I hear that the one girl has gotten hurt or any of them......especially I'd have the "I told you so" attitude if the BO got hurt cause I think she's asking for it more than the girls... though I would feel bad for them at the same time. I can't even imagin what their parents would say....I know mine would not be happy and would refuse to let me on one of the green horses. I'm even wondering if their parents know or not.

If I hear anything about kids getting hurt or killed I'll let everyone know...I am expecting more to get seriously hurt, but pray I don't hear any news of someone dying because of the BOs foolishness in the matter

Jubilee Rose 08-11-2008 11:37 PM

Are you serious. That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I cannot believe she said it didn't matter that the girl DIDN'T get killed! There are about a million reasons why that whole situation is sooo wrong. Poor horses!! :cry:

LadyDreamer 08-12-2008 01:18 AM

Be sure to tell them to say the magic words that make things go right every time, and they won't have a problem.

Those words are "Hey guys! Watch this!"

And don't you know when they finally get on that poor horse all the way, they are going to get that high and mighty attitude. They sure showed you, huh? *snort*

SonnyWimps 08-12-2008 08:11 AM

I just feel so sorry for that horse, for from what I heard from one of the girls is that he has trust problems and he's only been at the barn for about a week...and I know that it took Sonny at least 2 weeks to be under control and he was already broke.

I just found myself sooooo surprised that the barn owner would even let the girls do that. She's always been such a chicken around horses so I never imagined her even buying a horse that wasn't started