The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Do you wear breeches when riding? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/do-you-wear-breeches-when-riding-13151/)

Jubilee Rose 08-11-2008 07:17 PM

Do you wear breeches when riding?

Today I tried on a pair of breeches in the tack store. It was first time I've ever worn some. I've never shown, and I've always just worn jeans and half-chaps to ride with.

What are your opinions about breeches? The ones I tried on were pretty comfortable, pull-on ones. Is there a big difference between wearing jeans and breeches when riding?

Thoughts/Comments??

claireauriga 08-11-2008 07:24 PM

I wear jodhpurs, not breeches. How should I vote? xD They're very different to jeans or joggers and I imagine pretty different to breeches too!

upnover 08-11-2008 07:39 PM

YES! I used to wear jeans/half chaps all the time but my saddle dealer told me that it causes wear on the seat of your saddle that is VERY expensive to replace (and reseating a saddle never brings it back to 100%). It scared me enough to invest in several pairs and the wear on my saddle has been significantly less since! And i HATE riding jeans now. Breeches are so much more comfortable!

o0hawaiigirl0o 08-11-2008 07:40 PM

I've always ridden in breeches and I love them. I've ridden in jeans a few times though. I found them great for bareback, but I also found myself getting much more sweatier when wearing jeans. Also, (I had no halfchaps at the time) the jeans rode up quite a bit, even though they were a snug fit. Breeches are great if your wear high boots because you can slip your feet in easily.

claireauriga 08-11-2008 08:27 PM

I have seen, many, many times, signs at trekking centres and riding stables telling people to specifically not wear jeans. The main reason given is that they're going to be very uncomfortable and rub your legs to shreds given that the inside seam lies right along where your thigh will go against the saddle. Before I took up riding, if I had to get on a horse I would wear light joggers. I can imagine those strong seams wearing out the saddle too.

Jodhpurs are dead comfy, until you try crawling on your hands and knees in them. Then the seam down the front leaves a pretty read line from groin to ankle xD But otherwise they're snug, warm, and feel great to wear.

PoptartShop 08-11-2008 11:18 PM

I ride in breeches sometimes, yeah. :) But mostly just jeans (*unless showing of course*).

Solon 08-11-2008 11:20 PM

There wasn't an option for no!

I don't wear breeches when riding, ever.

Jubilee Rose 08-12-2008 12:19 AM

Solon - Everytime I try to put a 3rd option in polls, it wont let me. :P

Thanks everyone for your opinions!

I get little sores on the insides of my legs and I wear jeans and half-chaps. Its probably from the folds of the jeans, so breeches would probably help that also.

xNigelx 08-12-2008 02:40 AM

If I ride in my jeans, it scratches my saddle. So I always ride in breeches, its more comfortable and better for saddle. Plus, you wouldn't play football in jeans, why would I jump in jeans?

Pinto Pony 08-12-2008 06:01 AM

I wear a mix of jeans, breeches and joddy's. Usually jeans for trails or if they are already dirty, breeches for showing or lessons, joddy's for the paddock when I don't have pre-dirtied jeans haha.

I try to wear my jeans/joddy's a few times before I wash too to prolong the life of them. Plus I get pretty grubby when I am out with the horses so seems pointless to wear clean pants allll the time. As soon as I put their feet on my knees to pick them out I am dirtied :S

I find breeches and jeans just as comfy, but I wear slim fit stretch denims to ride in. I also think as part of respect for my riding instructors to dress the part if appropriate. ie when I go for jumping and dressage lessons I dress appropriately. Breeches, tight polo shirt, tall boots, helmet, protective vest if needed etc I like to get the most out of my lessons and don't want my instructor to be distracted by loose distracting clothing or to turn up looking like a slob.

I guess I have blabbed here enough...;)