The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   White buckskin? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/white-buckskin-131521/)

EmilyJoy 07-19-2012 12:32 PM

White buckskin?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all, I was wondering what color you would call this horse. Also what color Sire/Dam to make this color?

Just curious. It looked like a neat color to have...Except, it being light in color might make it hard to keep clean!:-)

This photo is of "Naranda's Hot Brandy" Here's a link,

AKJordan Horses : For Sale (it's not for sale anymore, just using him as an example)

Attachment 107131

verona1016 07-19-2012 01:07 PM

I think that's the shade that many people refer to as "buttermilk buckskin". No different than a regular buckskin in regard to the genetics that we know about and can test for... essentially a bay horse with a single cream gene.

The sire of that particular horse is a buckskin (Desdemona's Hot Brandy), and her dam is a chestnut (Naughty Naranda). I couldn't find a color picture of the sire (shame, I was curious if he was also buttermilk...) but the dam has a picture on her pedigree page: Naughty Naranda Saddlebred

NdAppy 07-19-2012 01:08 PM

No such thing as a "white" buckskin. A horse is either buckskin or not. It's a black based horse with agouti and cream. That horse just happens to be a light shade of buckskin.

Poseidon 07-19-2012 01:11 PM

Just an extremely light buckskin. Nothing all that special, just not the normal. I'm guessing that horse is actually quite a bit darker in person, based on how pale the background is.

EmilyJoy 07-19-2012 01:25 PM

Hmm, that's interesting... Is there such a thing as a pure white horse with black points?

Thanks for correcting me!

TexanFreedom 07-19-2012 01:28 PM

Just a more extreme form of a light, pale buckskin, but genetically the same.

Poseidon 07-19-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilyJoy (Post 1605652)
Hmm, that's interesting... Is there such a thing as a pure white horse with black points?

Maybe some bizarre stage of gray would look like that for a bit, but it wouldn't be permanent. Or maybe an Appaloosa that's varnished strangely. The closest you'd get is a very pale buckskin.

EmilyJoy 07-19-2012 01:36 PM

Okay! Just wondering!

lilkitty90 07-19-2012 08:59 PM

i honestly don't think the horse is even as pale as the photos make it look. those are just crappy old photos, making it seems so white.

Allison Finch 07-19-2012 09:06 PM

My sister had an extremely pale buckskin way back when. He was small, but was the Florida State reserve champion pole bending champion. He is the one on the far right with my 6 foot tall sister. I am the tiny one. This horse was as close to white as he could be and never changed color. And, OMG was this horse smart!!

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/scan0015.jpg