The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Should She Be Registered As Sorrel Or Chesnut? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/should-she-registered-sorrel-chesnut-131522/)

countryryder 07-19-2012 12:41 PM

Should She Be Registered As Sorrel Or Chesnut?

2 Attachment(s)
My girl's baby coat is a bright copper red sorrel,but she is shedding out to a deeper,darker,almost more liver chestnut type color. So,now I'm not sure whether I should be putting her down on her AQHA papers as sorrel or chestnut.. What would you say?

CLaPorte432 07-19-2012 01:25 PM

Thats personal preference.

I would but chestnut. But it doesnt matter. Genetically, its the same.
Posted via Mobile Device

countryryder 07-19-2012 01:30 PM

I know they're genetically the same,but wasn't sure what AQHA's take on them was. I've noticed some registries seem to have specific ideas of what those "two" colors are,while others not so much.

texasgal 07-19-2012 01:32 PM

I can't believe a registry offers a choice ... lol. You'd think they'd choose sorrel OR chestnut.

I always called stock horses sorrel and english-type horses chestnut .. hehe .. funny how we do those things.

countryryder 07-19-2012 01:49 PM

I know,it makes it confusing!
I tend to label sorrels as the more reddish or orange ish hues,and chestnut as the "deeper" and darker hues,if that makes any sense. But I know others who call,what I think of as a sorrel,a chestnut,lol.

ThirteenAcres 07-19-2012 01:55 PM

It is silly to have a choice between the two, when most people really pick based on the shade of the color. It doesn't change what it is genetically, just varies in shades...

As said, it's your decision on what you personally would call that color. I'd think of what came to /my/ mind first, and go with that. Who cares what other people call it? =)

FeatheredFeet 07-19-2012 01:59 PM

I'd say chestnut. I never heard of sorrel, until I came to the US.

Lizzie

Spirit Lifter 07-19-2012 02:16 PM

I think registration should include their color DNA. I bet in the future they will.

Poseidon 07-19-2012 02:17 PM

The AQHA generally puts chestnut for darker red horses and judging by the shed spots on her legs, it looks like she'll be dark. Either way, if she's registered chestnut and ends up brighter, people will still understand it's a red horse.

Roperchick 07-19-2012 02:27 PM

my mare Josie is dark like shes shedding out to be..almost exact color. and shes registered Sorrel

My gelding Red is the brighter color of her baby coat and hes considered Chesnut. so i personally would go with sorrel. but thats just me.